Transfering USB Turntable to WAV file's and then onto a CD.

I have a Dell Dimensions 2400 desk top I purchased in mid 2005. I have the Windows XP operating system. I also have the Windows Media Player.

Yesterday I downloaded the latest Audacity program onto my computer. I had already had an earlier form of Audacity on my computer I downloaded probably around 2007-2008. I’m figuring that when I downloaded the new file, it extracted the older form of Audacity. I was able to figure out how to transfer music from my USB turntable through the computer and then onto a CD using the older form of Audacity.

After all of this time, I cannot remember how I did it. I’m wondering that with the new Audacity program, it can’t be done with my old computer. I’ve recorded an album on the new Audacity program and then “exported” the file onto my computer.

When I double click on the file named “File” it opens a window that says “open with”. When I click and transfer the file to the Windows Media Player, it show that the music is playing but there is no sound coming out of my speaker’s.

I can’t transfer the file onto the media player’s library, thus, I cannot move it to the burn section of the player and make a CD. I also tried to transfer the music file straight onto the CD Drive (D:) on my computer and burn it that way but that doesn’t work either.

Can anyone tell me if I can still rip and burn CD’s from the turntable with this new version and if so, can anyone tell me how to do so.

I Thank anyone who can help me,

D.

I don’t see any reason why not. Help > About Audacity.

When you set the whole thing up to play a record for capture, do you see bouncing red sound meters and crawling blue timeline like this…

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/Audacity1_record.jpg

That’s your confirmation that your are actually getting a recording with sound in it.

The rest of your process seems to be fine to me. If you got a silent recording, that’s the first place to look.

Koz

We need to figure-out where the problem is…

I’ve recorded an album on the new Audacity program and then “exported” the file onto my computer.

What format did you use? Since your computer is asking “open with?” it probably doesn’t recognize it as an audio file.

FYI- WAV is the best format in this situation. Audio CDs are uncompressed 44.1kHz, 16-bit, stereo. So, it’s best to make a WAV file with those settings if you are making an audio CD.

I assume you can see the waveform in Audacity?

Can you play (and hear) the recorded file in Audacity before exporting?

Can you re-open the exported WAV file in Audacity and play/hear it?

Can your Windows Media Player play other WAV files?

I also tried to transfer the music file straight onto the CD Drive (D:) on my computer and burn it that way but that doesn’t work either.

Audio CDs are a special format. You need to make sure your burning software is configured to make an “audio CD”. If you simpy copy WAV or MP3 files to a CD, you can play that CD on your computer (and maybe in your DVD player), but it won’t play on a regular CD player.

. Can anyone tell me if I can still rip and burn CD’s from the turntable with this new version and if so, can anyone tell me how to do so.

Audacity can record the USB signal from the turntable, but it does not burn CDs.

P.S.
ouffalo,
Your post would be easier to read & comprehend if you didn’t mush all of your thoughts & questions into one paragraph! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Spaces are good. I have to expand my browser to the whole screen so I can read that without losing the sentences.

Koz