Transfering recodings from an audio cassette to my computer

Hello,

I have old Cassettes that I am trying to convert to MP3 and store it on my computer. I am using Super USP Cassette Capture. When I bought this cassette player, it had come with a program disc which I had used to get the Audacity program on my computer. Unfortunately, I have lost that program disc. I went online and down loaded Audacity software for Window 10.

I am encountering following problems:

1. As per the manual that had come with the program disc, when I open the program, as I directed, I went to: EDIT > PREFERENCES
    In the Preference menu, the manual asks to select RECORDING DEVICE >USB AUDIO DEVICE
    When I do that on my computer, the only choice under RECORDING DEVICE > MS Sound Mapper - Input OR Microphone (REALTEK AUDIO)

I know when I used the program disc, I did get that choice. I just noticed that the program disc is from an older version. I don’t know which version.
It seems that the current version (2.3.2), the preference menu has changed. I am asked to select:
Host
Playback
Recording
latency

When I plug in the cassette player, my computer does not show that I have an external Audio device connected and neither does Audacity. Obviously, this is one problem.

I will appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Audacity can only “see” devices if they are enabled in Windows.
Go to Windows recording devices and enable the USB device, then restart Audacity.

When I plug in the cassette player, my computer does not show that I have an external Audio device connected and neither does Audacity. Obviously, this is one problem.

If Windows doesn’t see it, of course Audacity won’t see it. Plug it in before starting Audacity.

If you haven’t done so already, right-click the Windows speaker/volume icon, select Open Sound Settings, and check for “USB… something” as an input device. If it doesn’t show-up, the cassette player, USB cable, or the computer’s USB port is probably defective. If it does show-up, you may have to drill-down through the settings and properties to make sure it’s enabled. These things “always” use the Microsoft-supplied drivers so they are supposed to be “plug and play”.

I went to: EDIT > PREFERENCES
In the Preference menu, the manual asks to select RECORDING DEVICE >USB AUDIO DEVICE

If Windows finds it, you can also select your recording & playback devices from the [u]Device Toolbar[/u].

If you have a desktop/tower computer, you can connect the cassette player’s headphone output to line-in (blue) on the soundcard.

If you have a stereo system with a cassette player you can do the same thing using a “line output” or “tape output” into line-in on your soundcard.

If you have a laptop with no line-in (most laptops only have mic-in and headphone-out) you can get a USB audio interface with (analog) line inputs. The Berhinger UCA202 is popular and inexpensive. Do NOT get a regular “USB souncard” because they are like laptops with only mic-in and headphone-out.

When I bought this cassette player, it had come with a program disc which I had used to get the Audacity program on my computer. Unfortunately, I have lost that program disc.

The shipped-disc is often outdated by the time you receive it so we always recommend downloading the latest version. Sometimes the old instructions don’t match new software. YouTube videos are also often outdated. But, the official online User Manual is always updated along with the software, and there is lots of help here and elsewhere on the Audacity website.