transfer voice mail from iphone

A friend of mine told me about audacity. i wanted to capture voice messages sent to my IPhone 6s voice mail to audacity, then save as mp3.
I downloaded your latest version today. 2.1 on windows

Found an article that mentioned how to do this but can’t find the “built in or line input” mentioned in step4 of link from options or preferences in your menu:
http://time.com/3666242/save-voicemails/
I can record by playing the audio through the iPhone speaker [no audio cable] using the internal laptop mic but there is too much noise.

Plugged in a 1/8 male to male connector audio between a Toshiba Satellite with mic/headphone as single jack and the iPhone headphone jack.
When I tried this nothing comes into Audacity.

How do I tell audacity to use the line input instead of the internal mic or is there a way to attach via IPhone USB to laptop USB port and get the recording picked up that way?

[EDIT] Koz is right! It’s best if you can transfer the digital file from your phone to your computer. Try that first! If it’s an oddball format or maybe the voicemail is stored on a server somewhere so as a last resort you may have to re-record it. Or, there may be able to find an app that can convert your voicemail to an MP3 or AAC file that you can transfer like any regular music file.

Found an article that mentioned how to do this but can’t find the “built in or line input”

That’s for a desktop computer with a regular soundcard. Your laptop (like most laptops) doesn’t have line-in.

Plugged in a 1/8 male to male connector audio between a Toshiba Satellite with mic/headphone as single jack and the iPhone headphone jack.

Regular headphones (with a 3-conductor TRS plug) will work, but you need a [u]4-conductor TRRS plug[/u] to make the mic connection. But, that’s still not right… A headphone or line-level signal is about 100 times higher than a microphone signal and you’ll get poor quality.

You’ll need a USB audio interface with line inputs. The Berhinger UCA202 is popular and inexpensive. (The Behringer has RCA jacks, so you’d need a different adapter/cable.) Don’t buy a regular “USB soundcard” because they are like laptops with only mic-in and headphone-out.

Last time we went through this, turns out there’s an app that can export your voicemail sound files into a married iTunes program on your computer. From there, it’s just drag into Audacity and edit. If transfer is all you wanted, then you don’t need Audacity.

Note this is very different from recording both sides of a conversation.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/10/02/how-to-share-voicemails-iphone/
Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 13.31.14.png
Koz