Track alignment on export

Hey folks,

I am new here and have searched the FAQs and cannot seem to find an answer.

I was using a 2x version of Audacity but I am now using 3.1.3. My duo partner lives in another country and does the music. As the singer, I would do Vox tracks, export and send to him. What initially happened is he would receive them and the tracks were out of alignment. So, i started doing a “generate silence” between all the various gaps and this worked like a charm.

The edge of each recording would turn (yellow) and then I would drag to the next part until it turned yellow and generate silence. In 3.1.3. This same process doesn’t seem to work. They turn yellow but are not exact. There seems to be no way to do the generate silence to the zero stop. (i.e music starts but vocals don’t come in until 00.16)

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong in 3.1.3?? Is there an easier way to keep tracks aligned “as is” upon export? I usually have 4 or 5 vox stems I send (lead, harmony 1, 2, adlibs etc.) I apologize for the long explanation but this has been a real problem since I upgraded to 3.1.3 and I hope there is an easy fix I am overlooking.

“Edit menu > Preferences > Import / Export”
Disable the option: “Ignore blank space at the beginning”
See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/import_export_preferences.html

Thank you!!!. I will give this a try. The blank spaces are not just at the beginning but I will see if this works.