Temporary files

I checked the capacity of the Temporary File directory
Edit > Preferences > Directories
It reads 3.7 MB

What capacity reading do you see when you check?
How can I increase that capacity?

Someone will correct me, but I don’t think it’s a fixed bucket that you throw things into. I think it’s a balloon that expands as needed.

Koz

Which version of Windows?
What is the path to the temp directory?
How much space is there on the drive where the temp directory is located?
What is the problem that you’re trying to solve?

Presumably the version given in the profile (Windows 7).

Perhaps easeas meant 3.7 GB? You can’t do anything with 3.7 MB.

Gale

Gale is correct. I meant 3.7GB and that should be enough to handle an MP3 file of 4 hours duration
that occupies 225,000KB.
I am using Window 7 Professional
The path was created by Audacity - “C:\Users\eas\AppData\Local\Audacity\SessionData”

Steve has highlighted something for me. I am down to just 3.03GB free space out of a
total of 676GB. so that may explain it all

Most pertinent is that I have been using Audacity problem-free for several years and
other than regular Windows updates nothing has changed in the operating environment.
Only recently has it failed to download the complete contents of a 225,000 file, rendering
just the first 20 to 45 minutes of a 4 hour file.

Note that Audacity does not operate on MP3 files. In order to be able to perform the editing and processing functions, compressed formats are expanded to uncompressed 32-bit float audio data on import. This means that a 4 hour stereo MP3 format file with a sample rate of 44100 Hz, will be expanded to about 5 GB when imported into Audacity.