Stops playback while editing. Error msg. on retry

I was having the problem using Audacity 2.3.2. It is still happening with Audacity 2.3.3. I am running Catalina 10.15.2. I have been using Audacity for many years. This is new within the last couple days. I was able to get Audacity to work by quitting and relaunching until tonight when that no longer solved the issue.

I have attached a screen shot of the error message and the Audacity reports.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 9.55.57 PM.jpg
log.20a25.txt (1.38 KB)
deviceinfo.20a25.txt (1.87 KB)

See this page in the audacity Manual: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/error_opening_sound_device.html

WC

I saw that help page in the Audacity Manual before I submitted my problem to the forum. I don’t see anything on the page that provides an answer or a solution to my problem.

Audacity 2.3.3 can’t record on Catalina without working around Apple’s new software restrictions. The workaround is described here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audacity-2-3-3-under-macos-10-15-catalina/54279/1

The next Audacity release (2.4.0) is expected to fully work on Catalina without this rigmarole.

I saw this post about what to do when you are recording using Audacity. But my problem is with playback and editing of an .aup file which I saved after recording it using an old version of Audacity on an old laptop.

I returned to this project today. I have upgraded to Audacity 2.4.2 and to Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

I am still getting the same result when I attempt to playback an .aud file. (See screenshot in first post.)

Could this be bacause the .aud file was created using an old version of Audacity?

If that is not the reason, does anyone have an explanation of what I need to do to play back the .aud file on my new laptop?

Thanks.
Brian.

What if you just launch Audacity, generate a tone (“Generate” menu) and then click the “Play” button?

Have you given Audacity permission to access the microphone? (In “Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy”)

Fantastic!

I rebooted the Mac. Then I followed your instructions, generated the tone and tried to play it back. It played back no problems. So then I closed that window, opened a .aud file, and tried to play it. It started playing normally.

Strange. But it worked. Thank you!

Brian.