STARTING FROM PAGE # 1 HELP !

To all:

I have been collecting vinyl since the early 1950’s…ergo I have over collected some 15K plus albums. Mostly 33’s some 45’s.
I really don’t care about placing the names in each recording I think I know most of them my heart now.
BUT I would like them in full stereo. The Apple Care people said “Oh yes, USB is full stereo !”. Other sources say nonsense !
I have several very good turntables with RCA phono plugs. One person told me to connect and name each song. Don’t think I’ll live that long
considering the total number of albums and songs on each. Researched The Sony Stereo USB turntable USB …still confused.
A friend who is a IT said USB is only “0” & “1” NOT analog !
So where to go now …any ideas ? Your help will be most appreciated ! I know nothing regarding this problem.
Getting different messages from different sources is very disheartening !!

Thank in advance !

CDR

Have a look at this page in the manual:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Tutorial_-_Copying_tapes,_LPs_or_minidiscs_to_CD

If you have a good turntable and pre-amp I’d suggest you use those. Get a “dual RCA to stereo mini plug” cable to plug from the output of your preamp to the line input of your Mac.

I don’t know of any USB turntable that has a good reputation. They seem to usually cheap-out on the platters (plastic, low mass → wow and flutter).

I (and many others here) are working on the same kind of project. After you’ve read the manual page, come back here if you have any questions.

– Bill

Bill,

Read the page you suggested I think I have those cables already so I’ll start tomorrow.

My main stereo is …well “kinda” nice …Full analog as in TUBES !! Class “A” Amps…pre-amps,etc.

But in my stash room…I have a 1971 Pioneer SA-1000 I have not used for decades…hey that was a lot of power back then. 70 watts RMS. LOL
But it has a slide-switch to disconnect amp from pre-amp. Think I’ll connect it and start transferring the jillions of songs.
Thanks Big Time.

CDR

Do you have contact cleaner spray, and the skill to open up the Pioneer and clean the switches and controls? Recommended if you do. Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent switch or control messing up your recording. If you take the pre-amp out of the Pioneer you can use its volume control to set the level into your computer. I use my PAT-4 for this.

I also recommend you check out this software: http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/software_download/clickrepair_info.html
It has a 21-day free trial period and is absolutely magic at removing ticks and pops.

Since you are transferring to CD I recommend going to Preferences > Quality and setting the rate at 44100 and the format to 16-bit.

I have more suggestions if you’re interested.

– Bill

Since we’re on a platform independent part of the forum…
There is a free open source program available for Linux that is brilliant for removing noise http://gwc.sourceforge.net/
I’ve not done a side by side test of these two programs, but they both do a very good job at removing clicks and crackles. The Gnome Wave Cleaner is more versatile as it also includes other noise removal tools for removing other types of noise.

Gentlemen,

After thinking over through the night…doing the math …15K albums X 12-15 songs per= 210,000 songs !
That is a lot of typing and monitoring for many months to archive all the albums we own.
Maybe years ? So I think I’ll hire some one to do it. I have several hard drives here SATA Type.
The pre-amp, the RCA plug, all needed to do the job…but I just don’t feel like spending that amount of time
recording the music. I don’t quit any thing easy, I never give up ! But this task will take far too much time.
HIRE IT OUT !

Thanks for All comments !

CDR

<<>>

And be clear that Music CDs don’t carry titles. You’re only typing the titles in because you want to print them on the CD, not be burned into the music.

If you put a new Music CD into your computer to play it and the computer isn’t on-line, the titles will read Track 01, Track 02, Track 03. The computer gets the song titles from the internet.

Yes, this is the magic place you determine that you don’t really need those obscure albums you haven’t listened to in fifteen years.

Koz

Don’t give up yet. This is a chance to listen to all those albums. And, as Koz points out, decide which ones you really don’t need.

Let’s see … 15K albums, 4 albums per day, 365 days per year → over 10 years! Hiring it out would cost around $10 per album → $150,000.

Audacity happily records albums in the background - I do it all the time. Set up your turntable and listen while you do other stuff on the computer. Yes, the editing into tracks, typing track names, exporting, burning, typing, printing and trimming the CD insert sheets - it’s all tedious. In the end you may decide that you might as well connect your turntable to your stereo and continue to listen to those albums the “old fashioned” way.

– Bill

Wow that would be some thoughput - I spent two and a half years transcribing 250 or so LPs plas a bunch of 45s and around 100 tapes … And Iv’e still got a similarly sized collection of my wifes’s to work on. A thoroughly enjoyable project though. The workrate did speed up though once I’d retired - and using Brian Davies’ ClickRepair (as referenced by Billw58 above) speeded up the editing a LOT.

And I wouldn’t take on the task professionally for $10 a pop … so I suspect you may have to pay more than that

WC