Squeely Recording

I’m attempting to record a cassette tape from my tape player to my laptop using Audacity. The recordng I get is squeely. I’m not sure how else to describe it. The recording is a men’s acapella quartet so the sound is more bass than treble. However, the recording is high pitched and very squeely. I’m guessing there must be something that needs to be checked or unchecked for the recording process. Does anyone know how I can fix the issue?

Thanks. Don

Try unchecking “enable audible input monitoring”,
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/transport_menu_transport_options.html

Some old tape actually squeals for mechanical reasons, (rather than via electrical feedback) …

Thank you for your suggestions. One of the first things I did was uncheck that option. Didn’t fix the issue. I don’t think it’s a sticky tape either. Somehow the sound I’m getting on the recording high pitched and almost like feedback. Last week I recorded another tape, this I ne being instrumental and it copied fine. Now this week not at all. Not sure what the difference is. I tried another tape and got the same results. I think I’m going to uninstall audacity and reinstall and see if that works. Again, thanks for the suggestions. Don

Well, I just solved the issue. I plugged the usb into the plug on the other side of the laptop. Now it works fine. Not sure why the issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.