SPDIF Device Not Recognized

When using the Audacity program, I cannot record streaming audio. There is no SPDIF interface listed under the
recording tab in the devices and printers window (windows control panel). It does show the SPDIF interface under
the playback tab in the same window and I am able to pick it as the default sound device. (no problems playing audio) How do I configure
Windows to reconize the USB SoundWave Optical device as the default recording source? I have tried all options in
the Audacity program with no success.

System Information;
Dell XPS400, Pentium D, 2Gig RAM
External USB to Optical 5.1 sound box (Siig) http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=JU-IC5112-S2
Windows 7 Evaluation Build 7100

<<>>

I’m not surprised. The Siig audio device is a playback unit. It transforms the Dolby surround AC3 bistream from a Movie DVD into optical for delivery to a theater system.

As near as I can tell, that’s all it does. The stream is never converted into six separate audio channels. Or it is, but it happens inside your theater amplifiers on the other side of the living room.

Any good “ripper” software can give you the Dolby track. What exactly was the goal?

Koz