Sound quality deteriorates halfway through recording

Hi guys, there is probably a simple reason for the problem I am having, but I’ve used the search functions and FAQ and can’t find the solution.

Been recording our bands rehersals just using a Blue Yeti USB Mic > Laptop as a room mic and (once I got all of the levels right) sounds OK.

However I have noticed lately that on most recordings (but not all) that when played back they sound normal at the start but after a minute or two into the track, it becomes ‘staticy’ or sounds like it is ‘underwater’ which I think I have seen used as a description on here before.

Is this a Sound Card issue?

How or where do you find out aboutthe built in Sound Card? And how do I tell if it is any good?

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Recording#enhancements
Koz

I have a verry similar problem, it starts recording well for three minutes and then it gets lower and with some distortion, what shoul that be?

As Koz wrote: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Recording#enhancements

Thanks guys.

I’ve followed the link provided (by kozikowski) and have follwed the instructions to check that my Drivers are up to date and they are.

It just so happens that I picked up a M-Audio Interface/External Sound Card from a mate yesterday, so looking forward to gettitng home and recording through that to see the difference?

Same mate also has a smal Behringer mixing console-thing that I have my eye on for once our drummer buys a decent set of drum mics.

've followed the link provided (by kozikowski) and have follwed the instructions to check that my Drivers are up to date and they are.

It’s not a driver software issue although that couldn’t hurt. Windows comes set for conferencing sound management and those settings do not get along with theatrical performances. This is a very common complaint with newer Windows machines.

Koz

Hey Koz, what should I be looking for and how can I adjust the settings for ‘conference sound management’?

The M-Audio Interface that I have picked up is the Fast Track Pro, but there is no input on it for my USB Mic :angry:

So do I run Guitar → Pedals/Stomp Boxes → Fast Track Pro

Or Guitar → Pedals → Amp → Fast Track Pro?

Help appreciated as always!!!

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Recording#enhancements

but there is no input on it for my USB Mic

The FastTrack Pro is an analog mixer that adapts to a USB bitstream for the computer. Plug in your analog microphones and devices. You can force that and the USB microphone into the Mac at the same time through the Aggregate Device process, but that’s usually reserved for two of the same USB microphone.

That’s a major problem with USB microphones. They’re not expandable. Once you start getting bigger and have more complex productions, you may have to leave it on the shelf.

Or Guitar → Pedals → Amp → Fast Track Pro?

You’d need the amplifier in the middle if it has an equalizer, special effects, fuzz or echo. If it’s just an amplifier, that won’t do you any good because you won’t be able to hear the cabinet or vibrating speakers.

Koz

Hey Koz, I set up and plugged in the Fast Track Pro last night for its first test run (with just electric guitar – no bass or drum kits yet) and so far so good.

I ran Guitar > Pedals > Amp and from my last pedal in the chain, I ran a lead from this (has 2 outputs) > Fast Track Pro. Seemed to work OK.

Sound quality seems good and obviously it has cut out a lot of my ‘room noise’ (my jam room at home is quite big and with our previous recording with the Blue Yeti it picked up EVERYTHING), but the real test will come when the drums are playing.

For this I am guessing I will just use a single room mic > FTP and see how it goes.

You mentioned the link to apple support – but I run Windows 7 so not sure if there is a way to run my Blue Yeti USB mic as well as the direct line or analog mic?

Really appreciate all ideas and advice!!!

By the time you get to Windows 7, they gave up the idea of selecting more than one device at once. Nobody could figure it out. Other machines have “Aggregate Device,” but they usually limit themselves to two identical – or similar – microphones. You need that service because Audacity will only deal with one sound device at a time. USB microphone or internal sound card.

Aggregate Device makes two microphones look like one to Audacity. The downside is you can’t control the mix. If one microphone is too loud, that’s life.

That’s the Google Search Term.

Koz