I apologize to Gale and Koz and any others who are working on this problem for having appeared to take so long to answer your last questions.
This is the third reply I’ve submitted in the past week providing the information below, but I see that for some reason neither of the others has appeared on the Audacity Forum. I don’t know why. In any case, thanks for your continued attention to our problem.
— the System Restore point we used was from a time before her successful AM recording and, therefore, from a time before the problem arose.
— we investigated the possibility that an automatic update from Microsoft or someone else might have changed the sound card driver; however, Device Manager says everything is working perfectly and that the card has the best available driver (it searched the Net, as well.) Also, the opportunity to roll back the driver is grayed out, indicating the card has its original driver.
… we checked the WinXP 64-bit drivers. We already have the correct ones installed. As I’ve said, the program worked without a hitch for a couple of weeks before it stopped producing sound.
… My friend didn’t close the program between the time she successfully recorded and played back three tracks (acoustic guitar and vocal melody/harmony) and the time, about three hours later, when she wanted to export the files for me in MP3 format. I don’t think she attempted to export them. I believe she just tried to listen to her morning’s work again before exporting the three tracks and couldn’t get any sound from the program, even though the output meters showed it being produced. Since that time we’ve done everything I can think of to get sound from Audacity with no luck.
—We know where the audacity.cfg file s and had already deleted and replaced it several times when Audacity was closed. We did it by editing the existing cfg file in Notepad and leaving only the first line. We also did it by deleting the original audacity.cfg and creating one from scratch. We also did it by manually removing all remaining Audacity-related fiies including .cfg after uninstalling the program, We then let Audacity create its own new config file by re-installing.
…She totally quit Skype (not running in the background), but the problem persisted. fa conflict with Skype were the problem, there would have had to have been an automatic update to Skype or Audacity that day, because she and I had used the two programs simultaneously for many hours over the preceding two weeks as I coached her on audio editing. (I see from my first message that such an update would have happened on Sunday, June 3.)
We’re wondering if we should try installing the previous version of Audacity. Will be grateful for any more ideas!