Just installed Audacity 2.0, after uninstalling 1.3 beta per instructions. Now Audacity does not appear among the “Open Using” choices in the context menu for sound files. Further, browsing to and selecting audacity.exe doesn’t work - the program choice returns to the default (VLC) as soon as “Open” is chosen. Starting Audacity manually and using the file menu to open a sound file works just fine. What am I doing wrong?
I’ve got the same problem. I’ve just installed v2.0 and file association won’t recognise the exe file for mp3 files (it worked OK with Beta 1.3). The program starts OK from the filename or the shortcut. It opens mp3 files from FileOpen. But when I try to associate the exe for mp3 files (Control PanelDefault ProgramsAssociate a file type or protocol with a program) selecting the exe isn’t acknowledged and it helpfully gives me Windows Media Player.
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit)
I didn’t download a ZIP version of Audacity
Further update for the attention of the senior elves on the forum:
I didn’t uninstall v1.3.14 and I don’t have this problem. Is the Windows install package for v2 as a “vanilla” install doing the file associations? If not, should it perhaps include an offer to the user to take over WAV and MP3 associations?
I wouldn’t have posted the reply if I hadn’t read the thread. At which step does it not work and what are the exact symptoms of it not working at that step? The technique I documented is the technique I used on Win 7 to achieve the file association that I wanted.
Sorry, I thought my original post was quite clear. Audacity does not appear among either the recommended or other programs listed when “choose default program” is selected in the context menu of sound files. I browse successfully to audacity.exe, highlight it, and select “Open” (silly label in this context but this is Windows). The browse windows disappears but the lists of recommended and other programs are unchanged, so Audacity cannot be selected because it isn’t there.
Certainly adding Audacity to “Open with” for an audio file type works fine on a computer that has never had Audacity installed.
The installer should though ideally be able to set registry keys so that Audacity once installed is seen as a “Recommended Program” for particular file types in “Open with”. Also the installer (or the Audacity interface) should ideally give the option to associate certain file types with Audacity.
The problem you have in this thread comes if you have had other instances of “audacity.exe” installed or located in the past in different locations, as you would if you had Audacity Beta then installed Audacity 2.0. As the Audacity Release Notes say:
the Audacity executable cannot be added to the Explorer “Open with” hover menu if you have another version of Audacity on the system which is also called “audacity.exe”.
It is a Windows limitation. The same issue arises if an older “open with” registry key still points to “audacity.exe”, because the Audacity uninstaller doesn’t remove open with keys (or give you an option to do so).
As far as I know this is not an issue if you install Audacity 2.0.0 over 1.2.6. 2.0.0 would by default install into the same %PROGRAM FILES% Audacity directory as 1.2.6 and the open with associations should continue as they were before.
In all these cases, the simple answer is to rename the 2.0 “audacity.exe” to some other name such as “audacity 2.exe” then you should be able to add it to the open with menu.
As an alternative to trying to sort problems like this out in the Windows Registry, which is dangerous, you could try http://defaultprogramseditor.com/ or similar programs (search on Google for others). Or indeed in some cases a registry cleaner may help as rgdave confirms.
It also works on a Win 7 PC that currently has both 1.3.14 beta and 2.0 installed - mine!
Not necessarily true!
I have both v1.3.14 and v2.0 installed and can happily use the technique I described to change the file association from 2.0 to 1.3.14 and back again. There is no problem - on my system. When I take the “Open With…” option from the right-click on the .aup file I see the attached. Having the text and logo for both the 1.3.14 beta and the v2.0 identical is very confusing; but clicking the other one effects the switch-over.
I suspect the difference is that all of us who are having the problem had 1.3.14 installed and uninstalled it, per the instructions for upgrading, before installing 2.0. That’s certainly the case for me.