Slow work.

Dear specialists! Thank you and Happy New Year. But I write on the issue that Audacity has started to work more slowly. This applies to all effects and import/export. System reinstalled, errors are excluded. Problems started somewhere in December, I do not remember exactly. Please, check and fix it. Audacity 2.2.1. Windows 10 build 1709. Thank you!

For example, the import of a file of 4 minutes in length takes 6 seconds. The effect “Change speed” is 12 seconds. And so all others, built-in and Nyquist plugins. This is much slower than before, which makes the job less convenient.

What has changed since Audacity was working more quickly?

The fact of the matter is that there are no apparent reasons. In my opinion, after moving to Audacity 2.2.1 Is it just me? I think a problem that concerns many. In complete confusion. Maybe the laptop is new, somehow connected with this. Did you check on Windows 10? How much, for example, does the export last?

Have you started using Cloud Services? You may find that those like to do heavy processing in the background and not tell you.

Do you have a browser running? It’s not unusual for FireFox to slowly fill up your machine with client services. Firefox 50%, Firefox Web Services 125%.

New machines are a lot busier than they used to be.


There is one problem that’s been cropping up more and more. Audacity will work well for the first ten or twelve seconds and then go nuts. I don’t know anybody’s ever figured out what’s doing that, but if you have a borderline machine, it will just stop working.


I’ll check on another machine through several days. Please, don’t close the topic.

I regularly test on various different versions of Audacity on my W10 laptop (and an my Macbook Pro) and I haven’t noticed any slowdown - so I conducted some timing tests on the functions you particularly mentioned on 2.1.3, 2.2.0, 2.1.1 and the alpha 2.2.2.

For the test I created a one hour WAV, one hour MP3 and one hour AAC files

For Import (all done by drag & drop) of MP3 and AAC there was no measurable difference between the Audacity versions, taking 17-19 seconds. I also tested Amplify changing speed from 33 1/3 to 45 and tested Amplify - once again no discernible difference.

However it looks as though there may have been a problem with 2.2.0 and 2.2.1. For 2.1.3 the one-hour WAV takes just 7 seconds to import, whereas for 2.2.0 and 2.2.3 this increases to 21-24 seconds. But on the upcoming 2.2.2 the alpha version has gone back to importing at 7 seconds again.

One of the developers was working on drag & drop recently (but experimenting for effects rather than audio imports) and for a while this introduced a (very noticeable) delay before audio imports - but he fixed that. It is possible that that fix dealt with the anomaly that crept in after 2.1.3.


While I have a version that for different brands of computers the speed can be different. But this must be checked. Very slowly there is an export to mp3.

As I pointed out in my precious post , when testing on my W10 laptop I van measure no discernible difference in MP3 export times of a one-hour project on 2/1/3, 2.2.0, 2.2.1 or the latest alpha for the upcoming 2.2.2.

All take the same 17-18 seconds

MP3 exports of the same audio are also consistent across the versions at 17-18 seconds.


I believed on another computer, a stubborn impression that there is a decrease in speed. Maybe because the computer is new, so somehow it’s different.

Now I have measured: the export of a mp3 file of 3:10 length lasts 17 seconds. It used to be faster.

As a reported earlier in this thread - we did appear to have a slowdown on MP3 import for 2.2.0 amd 2.2.1 - but this looks to be fixed for 2.2.2

I spent some time this morning testing the export of one hours audio to MP3 files at default settings to both nu non-spinning SSD and my on-board spinning hard drive with Windows 10.

Withe the SSD
For 2.0.6 export took 1:57
For 2.1.3, 2.2.0, 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 RC1 (Release candidate following the Beta) all exports took 1:38

With the hard drive
For 2.0.6 export took 1:52
For 2.1.3, 2.2.0, 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 RC1 (Release candidate following the Beta) all exports took 1:39

So I experience no slowdown in MP3 export.


I also repeated the tests with a audio the same length as yours 3 mins 10 secs.

2.0.6 took 5 seconds

2.1.3 thru 2.2.2 RC1 all took 4 seconds

so once again no slowdown observable.