skipping in Exported aiff

I’m dubbing audio cassettes to my iMac using Audacity 2.0.5 and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. When I finish dubbing a cassette, anywhere from 20 to 50 minutes in length, I do just a little editing (removing silent bits at the beginning, the end, and when the cassette finished one side and reversed direction), then export to AIFF. The material is spoken narration, not music.

When listening to the playback, I noticed that there are places where the recording skips–maybe just a few words, maybe the equivalent of a sentence. It’s as though I recorded “Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,” but the playback produces “Four scores and seven forth on this continent a new nation.” That is, it skips a few words but with no break. The length of the skip varies.

What am I doing wrong?

Just an addition to my original post: after exporting to AIFF, I saved the Audacity project, and when I listen to that saved project, I hear skips identical to those in the AIFF playback. So it’s possible that the exporting function somehow altered the original project, the alterations also affecting the AIFF export. Yet another possibility is that the original project made skips during the initial dubbing, so I’ll see if I can figure that out. However, I welcome insight from those with better skills and more experience.

One more addition: as far as I can tell, after some experimentation, the skipping is happening during the dubbing. That is, I can play a long section of the audio cassette while dubbing to the computer using Audacity; I’m listening to the playback, so I know the cassette is all right; but when I stop the dubbing and play the result, before saving the Audacity project or exporting to AIFF, there are places that the computer has skipped. It’s as though Audacity is randomly choosing to suspend recording for moments of varying lengths.

See if this helps: How can I prevent clicky recordings on Mac?