Skipping During Export

This has happened to me the past two times I’ve recorded. I have my audacity file that sounds absolutely fine when it’s in audacity but as soon as I export it the track skips just little sections (like 5 seconds) almost constantly. I’ve tried exporting as WAV and as MP3 and it happens either way. Is there something wrong with my program or what? I know my computer is running fine, I’m exporting files from all kinds of stuff. Any suggestions?

This is where we tell you to tell us the stuff from the pink band above the messages. Which Audacity, etc? Don’t abbreviate anything.

Koz

That sounds like it could be bugs that were in long-obsolete 1.3 (Beta) versions of Audacity.

As well as giving the information Koz requested, please post the Audacity Log from Help > Show Log… after recording then exporting.

Are the sections of 5 seconds silenced, or missing? Where exactly are you playing the exported files?

Gale

Sorry!! New to this. Okay I’m using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

I’m using Audacity 2.1.0 and I’m pretty sure I got it through the .dmg installer

I’m playing the exported files through iTunes and Quicktime and still both have the skipping issue. The 5 second gaps are just missing not silent.

And here’s the log after I tried exporting as an MP3

19:59:15: Audacity 2.1.0
19:59:15: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries...
19:59:15: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from default path, '/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Checking for monolithic avformat from '/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Loading avutil from ''.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(.bundle, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Loading avcodec from ''.
19:59:15: Loading avformat from '/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/audacity/libs/libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
19:59:15: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from legacy path, '/usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Checking for monolithic avformat from '/usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Loading avformat from '/usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is 'libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Loading avformat from 'libavformat.55.dylib'.
19:59:15: Error: dlopen(libavformat.55.dylib, 1): image not found
19:59:15: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.
19:59:58: Attempting to load LAME from previously defined path
19:59:58: Loading LAME from /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib
19:59:58: Actual LAME path /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib
19:59:58: LAME library successfully loaded

There is nothing untoward in the Log. Did the MP3 you exported at that time also skip in iTunes and QuickTime?

Can you import some of the files that skip back into Audacity? Do you see frequent flat-lined sections five seconds long when you import those files?

Do you View > Fit in Window after recording and look in the waveform for silent parts? Have you ever seen silent parts there?

Gale

I imported the mp3 file back into Audacity and it looks fine. But it still skips. It’s almost like chunks of the audio were just not exported. It’s like a bad editing job where random parts of our dialogue are just thrown together.

As for your other question, no I never see silent parts. Nothing is silent but rather just absent. The first like, 30 seconds, of the recording is fine and great but then it starts to skip about 30 seconds in. And by skip I just mean parts of the audio aren’t even there anymore. Like one minute she’ll be talking about animatics and then the next it skipped ahead to our conversation about character development.

Okay, update.

I downloaded the newest form of Audacity 2.1.1 and opened the project file there and now it’s skipping in the audacity file itself. So maybe the problem isn’t with the exporting. But I still don’t see “silent” parts it’s just like this awful mash-up. I’m probably going to have to just abandon the project and use a different software to record my audio because this is the second weekend in a row that I’ve wasted other people’s time.

Thanks anyway for the help.

Is the imported file the same length as the recording you made?

We don’t have a clear picture of what you are doing.

Where is the audio that you are recording, exactly? What are the makes and model numbers of the pieces of recording equipment you are using, and how is that equipment connected to the computer?

External equipment needs to be set up in /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup. Sample rates should be the same everywhere, in project rate at bottom left of Audacity, in Audio MIDI Setup and in any software or hardware controls the equipment provides. The chosen rate must be a rate that the device supports.

If this is an Audacity problem, the buffer could be the cause. Try reducing Audio to buffer at Audacity > Preferences… , Recording section. Set it at 0 milliseconds and make a test recording. If recording does not start, try 10 milliseconds, and so on upwards in 10 millisecond increments until the recording appears to be continuous.

Gale