silent mp3 export

I’m having the exact same problem. Am recording some old lectures from cassette tapes into MP3 files with Audacity. The tapes are recording just fine into Audacity, but when I export them as MP3’s, they’re completely silent. None of my volume control options are muted, and I know the file is playing because the time counter is running and the fractile is displaying (and is correctly registering at different parts of the track, oddly enough).

Audacity is recording at 16-bit, 44100Hz, all the usual. Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Topic split.
It is generally better to start a new topic than hide your question on the end of a topic from 2009.

Hopefully you will be using a more up to date version of Audacity than in the old topic, so let’s start there.
Which version of Audacity do you have?
Which version of Mac OS X ?
Do the recordings play in Audacity before you export?
If you import the MP3s back into Audacity, do they play?
How are you recording the cassettes? (what equipment and how is it connected to your computer?)

I’m actually running Windows XP. Is there a different thread I should go to for that problem? I only posted because the first guy’s description was so similar, I thought it was my coworker posting until I saw it was from 2009.

OK, so you still have these two:

Do the recordings play in Audacity before you export?
If you import the MP3s back into Audacity, do they play?

Koz

I’ll move it to the appropriate forum board when we know which version of Audacity you are using. (we can only work with the information that you provide, so it needs to be a dialogue :wink: )

I know I posted earlier, but it seems I was forgotten about the moderator because it’s been three days and my post isn’t up here. Maybe it was a glitch, I don’t know.

Anyways:

1. I am using Audacity 2.0.1.
  2. When I import exported MP3 files back into Audacity, they work just fine.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Topic moved to the Windows/Audacity 2.x forum.

If you’re using a USB device, the problem is most likely as described here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/FAQ:Playback#usb

No sign of your “missing” post, so I guess it must have been a glitch in the forum.