Separate tracks in the mix?

Please help id like to make a cd with each track separated in the mix without silence,but a cdplayer still recognise all separate tracks.Like i have an hour long mix and i like to make that mix for 10 separate track.Thanks

All you need to do is to place a label at each track break - use the Ctrl-B shortcut - and don’t forget to place a label right at the beginning for the first track.

Then use Audacity’s Export Multiple command (available from the File drop-down) to export a multiple set of WAVs, MP3s or whatever.

The Audacity Wiki, Documentation and Turorials have much useful information on how to do this - a recommended read - http://audacityteam.org/help/

WC

I am trying to do more or less the same thing, but I notice that at each spot where I insert a label that in the final mix there is a small sound gap when the it is played back from a burned CD-R, or a slight jump when played straight from the wave files. (The project plays fine from the Audacity program.) Is there some kind of setting I am missing for the labels? Thanx in advance!

It’s not Audacity, it’s likely to be down to your CD burner trying to be “helpful” by inseting a little track break for you. If you read the documentation/Help for your particular CD burner you should finfd a setting whereby you can turn this facility off.

Personally I prefer to create my own track breaks at the end of songs - there are some when a little more contemplative silence is good - and there are instances, as in your case for example, where no gap at all is required.

WC

I appreciate the fast response! Well, I don’t think in this case it’s the burner because it’s never done that before on other projects. Also there seems to be a problem just when playing the wave files right from my hard drive as well, but in this case it is more of a jump in the sound.

Usually I just do tight edits between cuts but for this project I need wsome overlapping.

I just double checked and it plays a brief pause or gap when playing the files from my hard drive on Windows Media Player or Realplayer. No other sound files or CDs do this.

Hmmm… I’m stumped then, sorry

WC

The only thing I can figure is that something happens to the ends of each sound file when exporting it out of Audacity as a multiple wav file. Like it drops a split second or ads a gap or something. But this would mean that anytime someone added a label at a point where there was audible sound before and after, like 2 songs crossfading for example, then it wouldn’t play through smoothly unless you were playing it directly from Audacity. I haven’t tried exporting it as an mp3 file yet to see if it also does it then. Have you had this problem? Can you try dropping a label in the middle of something and then see how it plays as a wav file?

I also tried exporting it as multiple mp3 files and it did the same thing when playing it back from my hard drive, a slight glitch at the sound break.

For what it’s worth, I just downloaded Audacity version 1.3.4.-beta and tried it and got the same results.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have this problem, but only under one condition.

If I change the sample rate of the exported files, Audacity introduces errors into the exported file.

For instance, when I start with an 11.025 KHz file, and split it using your method into (2) 44.1KHz WAV files, I get an glitch between the two files.

However, if I start with a 44.1KHz file and end up with 2 44.1KHz files, it works just fine.

Are you converting to a new sample rate when exporting? Audacity has a known bug during sample rate conversions.

I appreciate the tip. I imported a 44.1KHz sound file. I put a label at the beginning and dropped another label in the middle during a long solid tone. Then I “multiple exported” it as a wav file with the default sample rate set to 44100 Hz. When I played it back there was still a gap there though. Am I still doing something wrong?

Most of the sound files I am using are wav files taken from CDs or mp3 files. Ultimately I want to burn the final mixed tracks onto a CD.

I tried it with mp3 files as well, importing and exporting them the same and still get the the gaps.

This is driving me nuts! There has to be a way to do crossfades without having those gaps other then just not inserting labels.

Saving as mp3 will always cause this to happen - it is not to do with Audtion but is a “feature” of mp3. If you want “gapless tracks” you must use wav not mp3.

Nero also creates gaps between tracks by default. To prevent this from happening you need to edit the track properties to set the delay to 0 seconds (default = 2 seconds). Unfortunately this can not be set as a default in Nero - you have to remember to do it each time. It is not possible to set the first track to 0 seconds due to limitations of the CDR format, but this does not matter as a 2 second gap before the first track i not noticeable. (Other CD burners work in a similar way, but you may need to consult the manual for the specific software that you are using).

horror,

you said:

When I played it back there was still a gap there though.

What program were you using to play the file back? Did you re-import them into Audacity and add them to the same track? If I do that I can’t hear any glitches between the two files, but if I add both to Windows Media Player I get a blip between the two.

Steve is right about mp3s.

If you want to make a CD with no gaps between tracks, listen to Steve, but also be aware that the WAV files need to be cut at a CDDA frame. What this means is that a CD stores data as “frames,” If you convert a WAV file to CDDA format to burn it, it will fill up the end of the last frame with zeros, resulting in a small gap. But if you use Audacity to cut the files at the edge of a CDDA frame, you can get perfect gapless playback in a CD player. In order to do that, at the bottom of Audacity’s main screen, you need to change those three displays to show CDDA frames (instead of HH:MM:SS), then you need to turn on Snap To (in 1.2.6 this is in the Edit → Snap To menu, in 1.3.4 the option is next to those three displays at the bottom of the screen). Now any time to set the cursor it will snap to the nearest CDDA frame and you can cut each track perfectly.

Thanks alatham, I didn’t realise that Audacity had “snap to frames”.

Generally I have used zero crossing point at a quiet part of the music for splitting tracks, even without snapping to frames this provides acceptable results as, even in a worse case scenario, there would be a little less than 2 frames gap (< 26ms), which would be negligible. However, frame snapping is better as you should then be able to split tracks anywhere without gaps.

Right, Steve.

But that reminds me of one more thing. After the files are split at a CDDA frame, the first and last 10 milliseconds of each track should be faded in and out, since the likelihood of a zero crossing coinciding with a CDDA frame is quite small.

Fading the first and last 10 milliseconds will get rid of any possible clicks between tracks and should be more or less impossible to hear.

I think that if you split on a CDDA frame you don’t need to split at a zero crossing, as, since there is no gap, the end of one track and the beginning of the other will match, hence no click.