Saving exported audio files (FLAC) to network drive in 2.4.2 (Both Linux and Windows 10)

I understand that working on and saving projects should be done on a local drive, fine. However, saving a file from exporting audio should be a process that audacity hands over on operating system level, because it should be agnostic to where something is saved that doesn’t require real time responsiveness.

I have two computers that I use with audacity: One notebook sits by the piano and records via an audio interface. This notebook runs Windows 10 (It’s semi broken and it was easier to install Windows than Linux) and does what it is supposed to do i.e. record my Steinway very well. The other notebook runs Linux (Fedora) and I use it for post-processing recorded audio from the Windows computer. So far I exported audio to local drive, send it to Google Drive and download it from there with the Linux notebook.

Now, I have recently acquired a nice FRITZ!Box as router for the home network and this includes the option of adding an SSD as NAS - and as an SMB share it works fine on both computers. I can create, read and change files with the usual file managers on both operating systems.

However, audacity does not give me the option of exporting and importing audio in the respective file dialogues. Which completely defies the purpose of actually having the NAS available as a convenient way of sharing saved audio files between two computers.

Both computers use audacity 2.4.2 and I wonder whether there is something wrong in my thinking, expectations or setting up audacity in a way that a network drive is recognized as just one place of saving files to. Any ideas?

TIA

One issue that’s common to most NAS drives is that they go to sleep when not in use. If the drive is asleep, then Audacity is unlikely to see it. If that’s the problem, then you could try opening the drive in your file explorer (to wake up the drive) before trying to access it with Audacity.

If that doesn’t work, then a possible workaround is to connect to the NAS through a different protocol. I’ve used both ftp and cifs successfully with Audacity. My NAS drive is quite old, and it’s not possible to enable case sensitivity with cifs (it would need to be enabled on the NAS, but there’s no option to do so), so I’m currently using ftp (which does support case sensitivity, and is faster than cifs).

Unfortunately that is not the actual issue here.

There is a typical File Open dialogue when you either try to import or export audio files on audacity. In this dialogue e.g. on my Linux notebook I can see and use a connected SD-card, all of my partitions and accessible file systems and even directories I mounted via sshfs - but no network drives at all.

The connection to the cifs/SAMBA share works fine in other applications such as in Dolphin as the GUI file manager in Plasma. I can also use it on the command line with smbclient and it sees the network drive and can do file operations on it. Same with applications like libreoffice, where the network drive ist just there and accessible for retrieving and storing files.

Audacity uses a different File Open dialogue - and this one is simply agnostic of any connected network drives, except for those mount to local directories via sshfs. I’d be totally fine to using sshfs, but unfortunately the router FRITZ!Box doesn’t offer ssh-access and thus mounting any connected storage device vi sshfs does not work. cifs/SAMBA doesn’t offer an option to mount a connected storage device to a local directory and Windows doesn’t even know what we are talking about.

So, what is necessary to make a SAMBA share visible in the File Open dialogue of audacity?

It’s definitely possible to do that with cifs on Linux. Google for the correct fstab syntax.