ringmodwithLFO has a error message

ok i’ve got any error message when i tryed to use ringmodwithLFo i’ve got the latest one. here’s a pic
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ionzbmnpjvag04r/error%20audacity.jpg?dl=0
can someone please fix this?

If it’s not too much trouble, could you please report your exact Audacity and Windows version. See the pink box above.

“The latest version” might be very obviously 2.1.2 today. Or it might not. But people will read this post in the future and then it won’t be as obvious.

I can’t read the error in your screenshot. Maybe you can copy it as text, surrounded with code tags in your message? Code tags are in one of the buttons on top of the window you write your reply in.

That makes is it a whole lot easier to research your error and it will make it more likely that one of the volunteers that answer questions, will find a solution to your problem.

i’m using 2.1.2 audacity right now.

Here’s the error message: could not update effect “ringmod with LFO” WITH: Frequency_(Hz)=“440.000000000000” Modulation_depth_(0=none,_1=AM,_2=RM)=“0.000000000000” Sawtooth_level=“0.000000000000” Sine_level=“1.000000000000” Square_level=“0.000000000000” Triangle_level=“0.000000000000”

That’s not actually an “error” message, it’s just a “message” (as it says at the top of the message).
The message is a bit cryptic, but after you close and restart Audacity you should not be shown that message again, at least not for the ringmodwithLFO effect. It’s nothing to worry about :wink:

The reason that the message occurs is that the way in which Audacity handles effect settings has been overhauled. Previously there were inconsistencies between how “last used” settings were handled - for most effects, the last used settings were saved for next time, but for other effects the last used settings were lost when Audacity was closed. “Last used” settings should now work correctly for all effects. A side effect of this is that Audacity needs to read the old “last used” settings and migrate them to the new “pluginsettings” file. In some cases the old settings are incompatible (usually because of a fault in how the old settings were stored). When this happens, Audacity produces a message to say that it can’t use the old settings. Click the OK button and the effect should appear with its factory default settings.

This does not affect the operation of the effect. It only means that the previous “last used” settings can’t be loaded, so the effect will open with its factory default settings.

Once you have used the effect, the settings should be correctly stored in the “pluginsettings” file. You “may” get the message again while in the same Audacity session, but once Audacity has been closed, all settings should be written to their correct (new) settings file, so the effect should not produce the message the next time Audacity is used.

I’ve tried it out in audacity 2.1.2 batch files it doesn’t update the settings in audacity it only can be viewed with out doing the batch files settings.

i’m also using LADSPA 0.4.15. If theres is a update of this plugins. please post thanks

There are updates if you want to compile the plugins yourself from https://github.com/swh/ladspa, fixing any build problems you encounter on Windows, otherwise not.

Gale

I am not sure what you are saying, but have you tried restarting Audacity?

Are you saying you have a Chain containing the ringmod command but that ringmod command is not recognised when you run the Chain?

If so you can delete the ringmod command in the Chain, then insert ringmod in your Chain and set its parameters using Audacity 2.1.2.

Gale

I am not sure what you are saying, but have you tried restarting Audacity?

yes.

Are you saying you have a Chain containing the ringmod command but that ringmod command is not recognised when you run the Chain?

yes. and some of them are that way.

sorry but don’t communicate very well.

gale which compiler should i use that is freeware for xml files to *.dll?

But you can fix that, as I said. Delete the existing command for the effect in Edit Chains. Click “Insert” then add the effect from the list. Click “Edit Parameters” to choose the parameters you want.

What are you trying to do?

Gale

I’ve trid that out and the chain isn’t allowing me to do the commands by editing the command for the effect. there some kind of issue with the chain. just don’t kown what it is.

i’m trying to compile LADSPA plugins that are up to date. which program do you recommend for doing this?

We don’t know either unless you give much more detail about the error, or perhaps attach the Chain so we can see it.

It may be simplest to create a completely new Chain using the “Add” button.

Why do you need to update the plugins? They are not that different.

I think you would either use minGW or install Microsoft Visual Studio and look in the folder “win\LADSPA_plugins-win” in the Audacity source code. But those Audacity instructions are years outdated and won’t work “as is”.

Gale

the chain doesn’t allow me to edit the commeands the window comes up for the error not to edit the commeands

like it say’s. i’ll do a short video on this to show what the error is. i don’t do effects on the video. i like it raw just to show you what error i come up with.

Why do you need to update the plugins? They are not that different.

I think you would either use > minGW > or install Microsoft Visual Studio and look in the folder “win\LADSPA_plugins-win” in the Audacity source code. But those Audacity instructions are years outdated and won’t work “as is”."

thanks. i need them for fixed bugs if any.

here’s the error i get while i’m doing both editing chain and while the chain is in progress:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4aopzxncyc41nj5/audactiy3.mp4?dl=0

As I said, use the Add button to left of Edit Chains.

If you are still stuck, please create a ZIP file containing the plugin you are using and the Chain file you are using. To find the Chain file, paste:

%APPDATA%\Audacity\Chains

into the Explorer address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.

Also tell us exactly what values you want for each parameter in the effect.

I cannot test this because I cannot find the plugin you are using. Is it http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#id1189? That plugin isn’t actually included in the LADPSA-swh plugins installer we offer.

Gale

i’m using

Ringmod with LFO

We can’t help you unless you do exactly as I requested in my previous post. As I explained, I don’t have and cannot find anywhere to download that plugin.

Gale

well i found with ladsapa plugins.

here’s the file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6zgyt5ymlw5m10/ringmod_1188.zip?dl=0

ok here are the settings for the error message that it shows in the box:

Frequency_(Hz)=“440.000000000000” Modulation_depth_(0=none,_1=AM,_2=RM)=“0.000000000000” Sawtooth_level=“0.000000000000” Sine_level=“1.000000000000” Square_level=“0.000000000000” Triangle_level=“0.000000000000”

I did not realize that ringmod_1188.dll also loads ringmod_with_LFO_1199.

I don’t know if that linkage is the cause of the problem but I am afraid the upshot is that you can only use either of the effects at default settings in a Chain. I can find no workaround by editing the Chain file or using a saved preset in the Chain.

Also if you use either effect from the Effect Menu they don’t remember their settings when you open them in the next Audacity session. The settings are written to pluginsettings.cfg but Audacity does not load the settings.

I will add a bug report when I have time.

Gale