Resurrection of Folders

Ok, using Windows 7, Audacity 2.2.2 - but this has been driving me a little nuts in previous 2.x.x versions as well. It did not occur in 1.x. I searched various ways to see if I could find a previous report of this and couldn’t…doesn’t mean I didn’t screw up the searches, so if this is old news please forgive.

Bug: Audacity recreates last used directory if it has since been moved or deleted.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a folder anywhere in your filespace; use a local drive for simplicity.

2. Open a project in Audacity, and use Export - export the whole file, export selected audio, whatever. Save the export in that folder you created.

3. Close Audacity.

4. Delete, move, or rename the folder.

5. Open a project in Audacity, and use Export. The default directory will be the old folder, which Audacity has annoyingly re-created.

Expected behavior: Not really sure what the guidelines here are; some apps will return to the last-used existing directory, others will default to their Program Apps directory (bad, that choice), others tend to pick something at random. But I have never seen a Windows application consistently re-create directories the user moved or deleted.

Sorry, this bug drives me to distraction.

This is a known bug. A bug report has already been filed: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1899

Thanks, appreciate that. Audacity has been doing this for a while, but in the last few months I’ve been in a workflow that ends with folder deletion, and it went from a mild annoyance to something a little like a toothache. :wink: