Hi everybody, I am back, got this compiling successfully, but for some reason it wont run. The specifics are:
Visual Studio Community 2013
I noticed that when I compiled it with DEBUG - it not only compiled successfully, but I was able to run it in the debugger. I then
tried to build it (same code) in Release, and and gave me errors. Some of the errors made no sense at all, specifically, I am using a TrackIterator
in some of my code, and in release - it only used part of track.h, and the part it did not use had the TrackIteration class. When I #included track.h
in my code - then it would compile. DOnt really understand why the Release version would not have all of the class… but I digress.
But the problem - when I solved the errors, and got a clean compile, If I try to run the program I get:
‘Audacity.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\fwbase.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
‘Audacity.exe’ (Win32): Loaded ‘C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll’. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0xab8 has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).
The thread 0xcf0 has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).
The thread 0x1a5c has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).
The program ‘ Audacity.exe’ has exited with code -1 (0xffffffff).
Not sure what is happening here. There is an .exe - and if I run it in the Windows Powershell Command line - It just exits with no output whatsoever.
The reason is that pre-compiled headers (PCH) are enabled in Debug builds but not in Release builds. Using PCH hides missing includes.
Are you trying to run a non-debug build of Audacity in the debugger? By definition a release build will not have PDB files containing debug symbols. You can turn the messages off in Visual Studio if you don’t need the PDB files.
Yes, I am trying to run it in the Debugger - dont really care about all the messages…The pdb file missing messages really dont matter…
I will try to break point this and see where it is going off the rails. The -1 error was really what I was trying to figure out.
This works fine (both Debug and Release) without my code changes, so worse comes to worse I may start over and slowly add my code (new Menu options and new Gui Window elements) and see where things break…
Thanks, just wondered if anyone knew what this was off hand…
I could certainly share some of these changes with the community - if people were interested. People probably wouldn’t be interested though (but you never know).
The broadcast organization I work for uses Audacity to record news items. Once the broadcaster’s record their segment(s),interviews,etc. we needed a way to get it into our MySql database, and store it on the playout server (export). So all of the other elements are to do the specifics for that - Query the database, insert/update and store Content into the database including Meta data. There isn’t much else to it, but if someone wanted to use it to connect to a “Rivendell” Radio Playout System, they could do it…
It’s a cheaper solution - that allows 250+ broadcasters to interface with distributed database servers in different architectures (ie Linux).
All that being said, using windows is the bane of my existence, I wish everything was in Linux, but that just isn’t possible, so here I am - porting to yet another version of Windows. Sigh… where is my coffee…
Dear Gale et.al.,
Figured out my problem. Silly me, my Debug Environment was not the same as my Release one. I have specific configuration files that
tell it stuff (my audacity settings for example), as well as database info. One of the configuration files was missing from Release/Portable Settings, and it silently failed. Needed to have a Pop up to warm me of that anyway, so it was good I found it.
We are up and running in Win 10 ! Woohoo.
Not sure of these changes could really coexist in base Audacity - since I do actually change some base files (AudacityApp, Menus.cpp…) but if some people are really interested in a Rivendell Radio Playout interface, when it is all finished I can share it with the group…
Perhaps you could release it as an open source “powered by Audacity” application. (It would need to be called something other than “Audacity” as that is the registered trademark for “Audacity”. You can find details about license terms here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/license.html and here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/AudacityVendors but feel free to ask if you have any questions that are not covered there). We have had other posts about Rivendell on this forum, so I expect that there would be some interest in your project.