Recover files after Windows shutdown

Hi,
I have lost a couple of recordings recently due to Windows shutting down during recording. This shutdown is due to Windows update, and I have now changed settings so it cannot do that again. My question is…Is there anyway to recover the recording in this situation? Starting Audacity doesn’t bring up the auto file recovery, and opening the directory shows no files saved there.
Currently running V2.4.2

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

John

Is there anyway to recover the recording in this situation?

I don’t see how. The recording cache system would have vanished with Windows.

Starting Audacity doesn’t bring up the auto file recovery

Right. Because there are no files.

Someone else may post, but I think those recordings are history.

Koz

I have now changed settings so it cannot do that again.

I’m also set for manual update. You do have to pay attention and not let it go too long. The Windows/Evil-Doers race is a real thing, but I don’t think the World Will End if I force the update to happen after I finish my hour-long interview.

YMMV, void where prohibited, consult your local listings.

Koz

Thanks Koz,
That clarifies things. I’ve been doing a bit if googling and reading on the autosave feature…am I correct in understanding that this catches an Audacity crash rather than a Windows crash/shutdown?

Regards

John

rather than a Windows crash/shutdown?

Many of the data/file management services depend on the computer being alive.

You can do manual Saves and the last known, good, Save should survive (unless the computer crash takes out the file system).

We should note there is a misconception here. Every time you Save, you don’t get a whole, new show file. You update the existing one. It is recommended on complex shows you Save As rather than plain Save. Pick a new filename. That can give you individual edits at 9am, the one after Lunch, the one at 3PM, and the one just after supper. Open any one of them.

Note: Audacity Projects do not save UNDO. You can’t open up one Project and “step back.”

Koz

So the autosave feature should protect you against an Audacity OR Windows crash. I believe during a normal Windows shutdown it deletes the auto recovery information.

With Audacity 3.x you may be better off using File > Save Project > Backup Project.
This has the advantage of creating a backup with a distinctive name but leaving your original project open with its original name.

If you use Save As then that becomes the new open active project and your original named project is saved and closed.

Peter.