Recording with two audio tracks not possible

Dear forum,

I have a problem with recording on Audacity.
When I have one audio track to record on, my microphone (SHURE PGA27) works perfectly fine. As soon as I add another track (or several more), my microphone cannot be found anymore and recording is not possible.

I have of course tried to fix it for hours and I have come to one idea until now. I am not only using the microphone, but also a headset (headphones and microphone) just to hear the music while singing.
Unplugging the headset makes it possible to record on multiple tracks, but of course I can’t hear my music on it anymore, since it is unplugged. We’ve tried deactivating the microphone on the headset, but it is not possible to only deactivate the microphone, but only the headset as a whole.

When pressing the record button on a second track and the headset is plugged in, I receive the error “-9999”.

Working with the microphone of the headset, it works with several audio tracks while also hearing the music at the same time.

As you can see, I’ve gone through many steps of trial and error, but I just can’t find the problem. I hope you can help me. Thank you so much in advance.

We’ve tried deactivating the microphone on the headset, but it is not possible to only deactivate the microphone, but only the headset as a whole.

That would be my first guess. Your headset is a complex device that doesn’t play well with speaker/playback routing.

Can you borrow plain headphones just to see if the problem clears up? You can even use your iPod earbuds with an adapter (if you need it). You probably can’t use wireless earbuds. I believe those are bi-directional, too.

If you don’t do that, I think we’re at full stop. I don’t know of any way to custom manage a unique headset.

Koz

How is the SHURE PGA27 connected to your computer?