Recording Time Extra Long

I am using Audacity 2.12 on Windows 10. I am unsure why it is taking so long to record my cassette. The cassette is only about 45 minutes long. However, when recording it is taking over 3 hours. Any help is greatly appreciated. :cry: :frowning:

Is the player auto-reverse?

Do you stop the computer recording when the tape runs out? Then the tape machine is running at the wrong speed.

It’s also possible you have the tape on the recording twice, again this is based on an Auto-Reversing machine.

I had a tape machine with two reversing modes. One played both sides and stopped. The other would try to keep reversing forever.

Koz

So how do i know what the correct recording speed is?

Listen to the pitch of the cassette in the cassette headphones and compare with the recording.

By the way there is no “2.12” version of Audacity made by us. If your Help > About Audacity… says that, rather than 2.1.2, please download 2.1.2 from us at Audacity ® | Download for Windows.

Gale

I am unsure why it is taking so long to record my cassette. The cassette is only about 45 minutes long.

Sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re saying…

I’m guessing you’re having a problem playing the cassette?

Are you listening while recording? Does it sound OK when you play the cassette?

If you hit Record in Audacity and then start the tape, then 45 minutes later when the tape is done and you hit stop, that can’t take 3 hours… :wink:

I have tried to record for audio cd. It takes over 5 hours to record 1 sided 45 min cassette tape. PLEASE HELP!!!

If you’re using one of those cheap and nasty USB cassette converters, try it with the supplied software. If that has the same problem, send it back and ask for a refund.

The section in the manual about copying cassettes to CD is here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html