Recording time again

Good morning.

Once again I am back after asking this question a while ago.

I now have an external 1TB HDD and want to know if I store my files on this drive…will it one again increase my Audacity recording time…instead of having to store the files on my internal HDD. I am using space on the internal and bought the external for achiving…an storage. Although I have space on the internal…i don’t want to fill it…or get another internal or partition it.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Sincerely…

Marc :smiley:

What I would do (and indeed what I personally do) is to leave my Audacity projects o my onboard hard drive while doing capture/edit.

I then export sets of WAV and/or MP3 files and these are placed on my external 1TB dives (I actually have two so I have a backup copy). Then the Audacity project files can be deleted from my hard drive.

It is unlikely than an external drive will be fast enough to keep up with the demands of audio capture.

WC

And the possibility of an external drive of that size being fast enough is zero.

We do something interesting. We have 1TB storage machines for our video, but internally, they are much smaller, faster drives in RAID5 array. If one breaks, you replace it and let the array “heal” itself. Come back in an hour and keep editing.

Koz

Agreed, it is fairly slow even when just copying large files to it - but for backup/restore use that is not a major drawback

Yeah, I tried that with a a Buffalo 1TB disk that I bought. It was actually two 500GB disks which were Raidable. And that’s how I configured it - all was fine until one day disk-1 in the Raid array failed. HOWEVER that RAID software/firmware didn’t operate properly and did not switch over to disk-2. In fact disk-2 became invisible! Fortunately I was able to get inside the box and by physically removing the jumper leads from drive-1 and then spinning up the unit - drive -2 become visible again. So a quick trive down the shops to buy a new 1TB (a real single 1TB this time) and then a fair while copying data from the “failed” Buffalo to the new disk before returning the Buffalo to the supplier.

To be fair to the supplier and to Buffalo - they did replace the failed unit - and fairly quickly under Warranty, but with a fair bit of electronic “paperwork” (the disk was only 3 months old). But it was a whole unit replacement - they were unable to to supply me with a new 500GB unit to slip into slot-1 of the RAID array, which really is one of the key points of RAID arrays - swappable units on RAID arrays, to enable the RAID array to “heal”. :astonished: :frowning:

The replacement Buffalo I now operate as 2 x 500GB separate disks - with no RAIDing

WC

Thanks to all of you who were kind enough to reply with your ideas.

I think my initial idea of doing the recording on the internal HDD and then exporting all the files to the external will be the way to go.

Will try it and let you folks know in the near future who it’s working out.

Appreciate your kindess and time answering me.

Marc :slight_smile:

Marc,

I would strongly advise gettting a second 1TB drive so that you can make two copies (see my cautionary tale above!).

I’t’s hard work getting all those recordings - you don’t really want to lose them. And 1 or eeven 1.5TB discs are really affordable now.

WC