Recording input drop-down menu not working

Hi guys, hope someone can help me with my recording problem.

I’m using the onboard SoundMax audio with Altec Lansing FX5051 speakers connected via USB. I’m trying to record what I hear from my speakers, but the drop-down menu to choose the recording source is blanked out, i.e. I can’t select anything. I’ve tried changing the playback/recording settings in the preferences menu (from Microsoft Sound Mapper to my speakers) but still can’t get it to work.

I’ve used Audacity before on my previous PC (soundblaster/PCI speaker system) and was able to select my record input, so I’m guessing the problem lies either with my onboard SoundMax audio, and/or Audacity not being able to recognize USB speakers. I tried several other recording programs and none of them work too, I’m getting the same problem of not being able to select anything for my record input.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks!

Audacity seems to be limited to using only one device at a time, so if your audio device doesn’t support both playback and recording, then you’re out of luck. So the problem is with your USB speakers.

There might be a way to fiddle with the OSs settings to get it to work, but I’ve no experience with USB speakers, and it looks like you’ve already unsuccessfully tried this.