recording from mixer/decks

Hi all,

This is my first post, so hopefully wont sound too much of an idiot.

I have finally got my old decks set up in the garage again, and wired up to a vestax vmc002xlu mixer.
The mixer has a USB out which I have linked up to my laptop (Win10) and recorded into audacity without any problems a couple of records.

The only problem is the sound is a bit dull, as if there is some compression happening or tonal control.
the test was set at 44khz and was 21mb for 10 mins of recording.

is there something I should check to make sure it is letting the source sound through?

Does that mixer have a phono pre-amp as part of it.

If not you need one - I use the Artcessories ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier: http://www.artproaudio.com/product/djpre-ii-phono-preamplifier/

you need the phono pre-amp not just to provide amplification ti line-level but also to provide the RIAA equalization (lack of that can make recordings from LP/45s sound thin.

WC

I cannot actually tell if it has a phono preamp, I connect It to a pair of active speakers which works well.
in terms of the recording so far, it sounds ok but not as bright as I would expect but it was just a test run.

I think you’re experiencing something I got stuck with a bit ago. I bet significant chocolate the USB connection doesn’t go through the mixer equalizer. The signal is “flat” suitable for production later. The equalizer is intended to “tune the room” and can change depending on the number of people in it. That’s the last thing you want in a mastering recording. Also, the USB feed, being a digital conversion, is late.

You should get what you want if you record the analog (tape??) output or the amplifier feed. Fair warning, that’s the signal that’s designed to overload the power amplifiers. See: the amp clip lights pipping on and off during bass notes (midnight to 0200 hrs). That can make the floor bright and crisp, but doesn’t record well.

Koz

There’s almost a 100% chance your computer doesn’t have a stereo audio connection. I use a Behringer UCA-202 Analog > Digital (and back).

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/peaveyUCA202Lenovo-650.jpg

Koz

As long as you’re not going too loud and [u]clipping[/u] the ADC (the analog-to-digital converter inside the mixer) there’s no reason for the ADC should damage/alter the sound.

…Clipping is a nasty kind of dynamic compression.

There are some [u]Windows “Enhancements”[/u] that can screw-up the sound, and if Windows thinks you’re using a USB microphone there may be some [u]Microphone Boost[/u] , so if you see that make sure it’s off (or set to 0dB).

And when comparing the mixer output to the sound of the digital recording, use the same speakers, amplifier, and volume settings for both sources.