Recording fades in and out

Hi - As the soundman in my church I am attempting to record sermons. I am using Audacity 2.0.5. My pc is a desktop with Win 7 OS. I set up Audacity and Win 7 to record per the instructions i I found on your website, wiki.audacityteam.org.

My mixer is a Yamaha MG366C. I’m coming out of the mixer’s RECORD OUT jacks with a red and white RCA cable terminating in the pc’s LINE IN jack (blue) with a 1/8 inch TRS plug.

I am using the pc LINE-IN function.
All other settings are per your instructions mentioned above.

The recording starts out okay, but occasionally the record level drops to near zero. This happens several times in a 15-minute sermon. This problem makes the recording unusable. This can be seen on the Audacity waveform display and can also be heard when recording is played back.

I found some advice on your website, and checked all settings, except I cannot find a ‘noise suppression’ setting.
My Win 7 OS is up to date, and as far as I can determine all my drivers are up to date.
Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance from David at Holy Trinity Presbyterian Church

Before you get too far into the weeds, I would “Y” the cable entering the soundcard and plug headphones in. If the headphone show vanishes at the same time the Audacity show does, then you’re not getting the show from the mixer.

In this instance I don’t think Windows Enhanced Services is the problem. That’s designed to enhance voices at the expense of background noises, generally defined as any sustained sound.

Does the show become damaged when the music cranks up? Enhanced Services kills music.

Koz

Have you explicitly read Missing features - Audacity Support ?

The only way to be sure you have the correct latest audio drivers for your built-in sound device is to go to the web site of the computer or motherboard manufacturer. If if is a branded computer like Dell or HP, go to their site.

Irrespective, you may well get better recording quality using the line-in of a USB interface. Built-in sound devices are very variable in quality and usually poor in an entry level computer.

Gale