Recording but not writing to disk

Hello! I am seeing levels on the toolbar and a wave as I record, but every six seconds or so there is silence for a couple seconds, and when I stop the recording nothing has written and the file is blank. I realize Audacity writes to disk every six seconds or so, so I am guessing it has something to do with that. It does not matter what input I use, whether it’s the internal mic, an input into the analog jack or an external sound card; the same thing occurs.

I run Audacity 2.0.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit system with Service Pack 1. I have an i3 processor with 4 GB RAM.

I have searched but can’t find a similar issue here. Thanks!

I’d probably go into Edit > Preferences > Directories and make sure Audacity is trying to write to a real place and it has permissions access to that place. You can get into troubles if you install Audacity as an administrator, but run it as a Lowly User. The permissions could change so it no longer works.

Koz

Thank you! Your suggestion prompted me to run Audacity as an administrator and everything works fine! I appreciate the help.

It would probably be better to just change the location of the temp folder to somewhere that you have write permission as a standard user.

I agree. I checked the properties of the folder and it appeared that it had permission, so I must be missing something. I know just enough to be dangerous. :slight_smile: At least I have a work-around for now.

Two level help works. Get You Out Of Trouble Right Now and the knowledge of where to go later to fix for real. I’m good with that.

Koz