Recordig interference

I have been using an older version Audacity and it’s been perfect. last week I got curious and started to experiment with different effects, with recordings, tracks , volume controls and any other buttons I switched of and returned to using it as normal No problem . When I opened Audacity the next day everything appeared ok but when I press the record button (even when there is no file open to record ) a clicking sound starts and within
1-2 secs it builds up to a high harsh sound which I stop with the black key . I tried different tests but no avail I was getting so mixed up by this time
I uninstalled the program and reinstalled the current version Audacity-win-2.3.2.and the problem is still there Have you ever experienced this yourself
and have you any ideas .When I play music it’s clear
By the way I’m 76 and a bit slower now, I hope I’ve explained it ok.
Thank you

What have you selected as your [u]Recording Device[/u]?

If you are recording streaming audio or otherwise recording what’s [u]out of your soundcard[/u] make sure to turn OFF [u]Software Playthrough[/u] because it will create a feedback loop.

OS windows 7
Audacity Version 2.3.2.

It worked everything seems ok thank you.

I’m reading the manual for the new version 2.3.2. the manual shows the recording /playback meters shows a -3 level (like the older version) but the program display hasn’t got it ,
I noticed this as I used to use this level as an indicator. Just wondered