Record & Playback using only USB

Hello … newbie to the forum but have been using Audacity for many years. I am currently using Audacity 1.3.13, Windows Vista and trying to record and playback using USB. I have the Bose Companion 5 for speakers which is a USB connection (no sound card needed) … It has a control pod for volume control, single touch mute, headphone jack and connection for a second audio source which is where I plug my keyboard into and it works great however in Audacity there is no USB Bose selection for the recording device so obviously I am not seeing any line level. I went to Audacity Preferences and I see a playback for Bose but not for recording.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? I thought USB was basically plug n play. I also have another keyboard I would like to add … would a USB mixer work also? Was thinking about a 6 channel Alesis or similar.

Thanks for any help and advice.

KeySlayer

From what I can see here the Bose Companion 5 is a USB speaker system. There’s no mention of it being capable of recording as far as I can see.

For doing what? What exactly are you wanting to record?

Was thinking about a 6 channel Alesis or similar.

You need to read the fine print on mixers. Most 6-channel mixers have six inputs – microphones, line-level sources – and only output stereo. If you do output stereo, you need to make sure your computer can accept it. Typically, Macs and desktop Windows and desktop Linux machines do, Windows Laptops don’t.

Everything changes if it’s a USB mixer. The stereo goes down the USB connection.

Koz

I have an Ensoniq SD 1 keyboard that has a 24 track recorder built in which I want to output (analog) some of my music via Windows Vista/Audacity and add more tracks and stuff to it. I also have a Kurzweil which would be cool to hook into the computer as well … I used to hook my board directly into my sound card however now I have a USB speaker system and the old way wont work … maybe I am confused and going about this in the wrong way?

I will read more on it for sure thanks!!

How many audio outputs are there on your keyboard, and what sort of outputs are they?