Record from Fender Mustang 1 v2

I’m having trouble recording my guitar with a backing track. Here’s my situation. I’ve been practicing Gary Moore’s The Loner. I play a backing track from my android phone through the “headphones out” of my phone into the aux input of the Fender Mustang 1 v2 amp. This works fine. I plug in my guitar, start the backing track and play along. Both come out of the amp speaker fine (or usually into headphones using the amp’s phones jack). So far, so good. Now that I’m ready to record an audio file using Audacity, I can’t get both sources into the computer/program. I can hear (and see graphically) my guitar but it does not pick up the backing track that is playing simultaneously. I can hear the backing track and my guitar while I’m trying to record but only the guitar is being recorded. It’s not a copyright problem with YouTube because I have a simple audio file using my voice recorder app on the phone. I play that into the amp.

If anyone has a solution, please assume I am a complete idiot and don’t leave out any steps or instructions no matter how simple.
Thanks in advance.

You didn’t say, but I assume the amp’s USB port is connected to the computer for recording?

If you can’t get a mix from the USB port you’ll need an analog connection. (I took a quick look at the user manual online, and I didn’t see any details about how the USB port works.)

If you have a desktop/tower computer with a regular soundcard you maybe be able to use an analog connection to the blue line-in connection.

Otherwise if you have a laptop with no line-in you’ll need a [u]USB audio interface[/u] with balanced line-level inputs. (The microphone can “work” but a line-level signal is about 100 times stronger than a microphone signal so you may not get good quality. Plus, the mic preamp built into most soundcards/laptops is low-quality.)

The line-outputs are [u]balanced[/u] so you may not get a good-quality signal into a regular soundcard.

The headphone output is unbalanced and it’s a good match for line-level inputs on a soundcard (with the volume turned-up) but you’ll need a Y-Splitter to listen with headphones (without latency through the computer) at the same time.

It’s also possible to record the guitar and backing track separately and then mix later in Audacity.

\

It’s not a copyright problem with YouTube

Copyright is a legal concept which is different from copy protection. Of course, copy protection is only used to help enforce the copyright… There is no point in copy-protecting something that you don’t mind people copying.

Much of YouTube’s content is copyrighted, it’s against their rules to copy it and I’m sure you’ve noticed there is no “download” button.

As a practical matter, a copyright is mostly a publishing right. If you record your own version of a hit song for personal use, nobody will come after you.

But if you publish or distribute it (on CD or on the Internet, etc.) the copyright owner may come after you (unless you get permission or pay the royalties, etc.). In general, the actual performance/recording and the song (notes & lyrics) have separate copyrights.