Re-Recording clips

Hi = still REALLY new to Audacity! I need to record a book prologue and I what I have is good, except for one piece in the middle. Is there a way to take that part and re-record it without doing a lot of cutting and attaching? I really don’t know what I’m doing technically and still learning (videos, YouTube, etc)
Thanks!

Is there a way to take that part and re-record it without doing a lot of cutting and attaching?

No. There’s a way to get into a fresh recording, but no guaranteed way to get back out and have everything match (without cutting and attaching).

“Smash Record” is a new technique and I need to look it up.

Koz

I suspect that you are referring to “Punch and Roll” recording: Punch and Roll Record - Audacity Manual

The way that I would recommend requires a little bit of splitting and re-attaching, but not very much.

1. Locate the start and end of the bad bit and “select” it (see: Selecting Audio - Audacity Manual)
  2. Extend the selection so that it starts and ends during pauses between sentences, like this:
  3. “Edit menu > Remove Special > Split delete”
  4. Click on the track a several seconds before the first split.
  5. Headphones on, sit comfortably and get ready to record.
  6. “Shift + R” to start recording to a new track
  7. Read through to the end of the bad section. Don’t worry if you ended a little sooner or later than the first time.
  8. Spacebar to stop recording.
  9. Switch to the Time Shift tool and slide the three audio clips left/right as necessary so that the dialog flows naturally from one to the other.
  10. Trim off any overlap between the audio clips.

That’s it.
When you Export the finished recording, the two tracks will be mixed together into a single audio file.

There are additional techniques for making the transitions smoother (see “crossfading” Creating a Crossfade - Audacity Manual) but the above 10 step cover the basics.

Thank you very much for all the information!