Project Data folder is too big.. huge!

Hello Colleagues,

This question I’ve been planning to ask since I saved first project file to disk.
I do the next:

• create a project
  • import background musical pad (usually MP3)
  • then record the voice as many times, as it needs to get the best result. like they do it in studios.
  • then do some adjustments (usually it is only Treble and Bass plugin)
  • just leave only the resulted tracks (only 2 back + voice) and save it…

So, what I get is quite weird… one (5 minutes 44.000 2 tracks) project takes about 1G in project file Data folder… though in MP3 no more than 5M.
I suppose that Audacity saves all UNDO data as well… How to avoid it and save only finished tracks in AUP file?

Undo data will be present in the project while the project is open, but is deleted when you close Audacity, leaving only the last saved state. This will still be big because the audio data is saved as 32-bit float format, which is around 20 MB per minute of stereo audio at 44100 Hz sample rate.

If you don’t mind losing a bit of sound quality, you can save a compressed copy of the project, which encodes the audio data in Ogg Vorbis format (see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/file_menu_save_project.html#save_compressed_copy_of_project)

Thank you, understood… then another just curious extra questions:

1. Can I save project including UNDO? Is there such option, besides killing the app in TASKMAN?
  2. Is there an indication of how much memory the current project is using?

No, that’s not currently an option.

Don’t do that. The undo data will still not be available, and it may corrupt the project losing all of your work.

For complex projects, I use “Save Project As…” to create a series of numbered backup copies.

“View menu > History” provides some information: History - Undo and Redo - Audacity Manual

Thank you, Steve!

About TASKMAN was just the joke…
Thanks for the reference to see memory size. very useful.

:smiley: Pleased to hear that.