Processing raw audio

Our church service is broadcast each Sunday over the local AM radio station (WLSB) and, by some convoluted process that I am not fully aware of, the responsibility for making sure that this happens properly has somehow devolved upon me.

We are using Windows Media Encoder and the internet to send the audio to the radio station. While the encoded output is stereo, the input to the computer is mono but I have both the left and the right channels wired to receive the same signal. What we send out is absolutely raw data as the “technicians” that run the mixing board are all volunteers and have various levels of ability. As we are broadcasting, I am also archiving the audio as a .wma file. The problem I have is how and what post processing to do to this .wma file so that we can have a “clean” recording. I am by no means an audio engineer and am in way over my head here and would appreciate some sound advice (no pun intended) on using Audacity to clean up the raw file. The audio in this file ranges from barely audible to clipped.

To begin with, I have found that Audacity does not like and will not process .wma files. Along with both versions of Audacity, I have installed “Super” on my computer so that I can convert the .wma file to something else. With what file type is Audacity most comfortable? After post processing, what file type should I convert to so that I can ultimately create a fairly good quality CD? I am encoding the archive file using the “CD quality” setting in the encoder.

Next, before processing the raw audio, should I delete one of the stereo channels and proceed as if it were mono? If so, which channel would it be best to drop? After processing would it be advisable to convert it back to stereo before putting it on the CD? If so, should I simply duplicate the mono track and set them as L and R or would it be better to use the “Convert to Stereo” function? What would the difference be?

Finally, I assume that my post processing would include using the “Leveler” (in the beta version), the “Noise Removal” as well as the “Normalize” functions, but in which order should these functions be applied? Are there any other functions I should use that would help to clean up the audio?

There is one other problem that I have that is really not an Audacity problem but I thought that I’d throw it out anyway: I am unable to change the input volume on the recording “Line in”. I can reset the recording “Master Volume” with no problem but for some reason, the recording line in volume is set at about 75% and cannot be reset to anything else. Can anyone give me a reason why this control cannot be reset?

I’m sure that there are a many more questions that will arise but, for now, I think these may be gracious plenty. I thank you for any and all help.

audacity uses mp3 or ogg, which are very similar.
there’s nothing else to clean up the audio.
save files as mp3, with a rate of 160kbps to get good quality.
If you can only record mono, use that.