Processes for audio conversion

Hello,
I am new to all this and I need advice. I have purchased a digitnow audio converter, the plan is to convert all audio cassettes and vinyl to digital on the home media server that I am in the process of putting together with plex or jellyfin to run the media content for me. Am also going to do the same with VHS videos but right now my main concern are the audio cassettes.

When I start the process of converting the cassettes do I have to do it track by track or can I do it as a tape at a time without stopping the process. Or can I do it as a whole tape transfer and then seperating each track and then save to the media server?

Please see this set of tutorials in the Audacity manual:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html

And in particular these two suggested workflows:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_lp_digitization.html

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/sample_workflow_for_tape_digitization.html

Peter

Of course you’ll need a video capture device or a DVD recorder. Video capture devices usually come with their own software. (As you may know, Audacity is audio-only.)

Homemade tapes are OK but commercial videotapes (and DVDs & Blu-Rays) are copy protected. It’ not an easy thing to get-around.

DVD recorders also honor the copy protection so they also don’t work without a hardware-box to strip-out the copy protection.

…It’s actually easier to get-around the copy protection on a DVD.

Hi there, thank you for your response, luckily for me I now have a digitnow audio conversion kit and the same for the VHS tapes. I’m having to service the tape deck before any of it as it’s decades old and unused for at least 15 years, the elastic band inside of the drive that turns the spindles and has completely lost its elasticity and needs to be replaced, luckily I’ve managed to find a Sony stockist that still provides model spares for my unit, im also going to clean out the tape deck a much as is possible before starting the project and it’s going to take a long while to do due to the amount of cassettes that I want to add to my media server. I have located an old but working VCR my aunt has still, it does work but has been inactive for a good while, think that may require service parts too but I’m just going to deal with the audio cassettes first. I’m definitely going to watch the tutorial vids before anything starts, however I am still converting an old PC to a mass server for all the home. I’m starting it off with windows 10 professional so I can utilise remote access which will allow me to use it without a monitor attached. Then hopefully I can use a system like plex to collate data and media server playback etc because of the transcoding etc, I only want to use the system at home so transcoding although required won’t be as intensive as it would If I were to use it outside of home. Think I’m getting a little too far ahead currently as I know it’s going to take a lot of time.

Hi, thank you for your response, I’m certainly going to have a good look through the manuals. Hopefully I can go into this project eyes open. Thank you :slight_smile:

In another forum I’ve seen recommendations of GitHub - oyvindln/vhs-decode: Software defined VHS decoder - Fork (maybe temporary) of the ld-decode Laserdisc rf decoder if you want the highest quality for archival purposes. This software decodes the raw RF signal from the read head. It requires another piece of hardware to capture the raw RF signal into your computer, though.

When I converted my tapes I first had my Nakamichi BX-2 professionally serviced by Bowers&Wilkins, as it had lain unused for a few years.

Peter.

P.S.

The AUDIO from VHS tapes is NOT copy protected. (I had several concert videos that I copied to MP3.) And VHS Hi-Fi is almost “digital quality”. Better than audio cassettes or vinyl.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.