Problems with Multiple Recordings

I have a Windows 8 computer and am using Audacity 2.0.5 from the .exe installer. I can record one stereo line just fine, but when I go to record another, unless the first is mute, it won’t record. It says it is recording, but there is no sound. I am using headphones, so it’s not interference. HELP!!

~Keryshna

What settings are available in the device toolbar and which settings are selected?
When you say there is no sound, do you mean that it is producing a flat line recording on the second track?

It has some spikes, but most of it is flat. It works fine if the first track is muted. It’s only when I try to listen to the first track and record at the same time that it acts up.

Follow the steps here to turn off all Windows and sound card “enhancements”:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#enhancements .

While in Windows “Sound” as per the link above, click the main Communications tab, then under “When Windows detects communications activity:”, choose “Do nothing”.

If that does not help then you may not have correct drivers for your computer sound device. What is the make and model number of the computer?

Gale