problem with the waves

hi gang

while using audicity to save music files to my computer i noticed tghat the waves werent able to reach the top or bottom of the editor.i did everything right.it looked liked they were being automatically saved so i wouldent have to worry about distortioni dont want this.what can i do?thanks.

lenny

It’s distorting anyway. Windows machines can do this when you plug a high level sound signal into the microphone input. Describe your system. Part numbers help. Details.

Koz

hi
im going into the line in not the mic in put…i know at least that much.i have my turntable into my amps inputs out from the amps out speakers into the line in(not my mikes)imputs on the soundcards inputs.,…,.on xp…

lenny

<<>>

Try this. Turn the computer mixer and Audacity all the way up. Now reach over and turn the sound amplifier way down.

You can launch Audacity and click once inside the record meters and they will start work so you can set sound levels without needing to make a full recording.

Slowly bring up the sound amplifier until the bouncing light meters read about -3 to -6.

Koz