Problem: louder recording

Hello,

I have an issue. I try to record on Audacity (using a guitar plugged on a Line 6 UX1). When I record the first track, everything is find, but when I record a second track, the sound is a half step lower than what I record (and a little bit faster I think). I’d be a pain if I must play my chords a half step higher.

You were just recording a simple second track, or you were overdubbing?

Having a higher pitch or playing faster is “normal.” That means your computer couldn’t keep up and recorded the show slow. Everybody with a slow computer gets that.

Having a slow playback is harder. You may have driver problems or sample rate errors. It says it’s happy with 44100 sample rate. Is that what Audacity says in the tiny window lower left?

Koz

the sound is a half step lower than what I record (and a little bit faster I think).

Normally, pitch and tempo would both go-down together (or go-up together).

Are you playing-back through the Line 6 or through your soundcard? If you’re playing-back through your soundcard, try the Line-6 to see if it plays-back at the correct pitch. (I assume the Line 6 can be used as a playback device?)

…Sometimes the clock (oscillator) in a “cheap consumer” soundcard/soundchip can be off. No clock is perfect, but some regular soundcards can be pretty bad… It’s usually not noticeable for listening (unless you have perfect pitch) but musicians notice it when they try to play in-tune or overdub.

thanks for your quick answers.

I was recording a simple second track (the one that is create when you click on the record button). Yeah Maybe my computer is a little old ^^
Audacity choose 44100 as default when I open it.

To respond to DVDoug, my guitar is plugged on the Line 6 and Audacity record through it. If I choose my soundcard, I can’t record any sound that come from my guitar. The sound come from headphones directly plugged in the Line 6. All the record process go through the Line 6 and nothing from the PC.

The sound come from headphones directly plugged in the Line 6. All the record process go through the Line 6 and nothing from the PC.

I know you’re recording through with the Line 6, but I was wondering if the wrong-pitch playback was coming out of the Line 6? …I was hoping your recording was OK and it was just a playback problem with your regular soundcard.

Ok. When I play without recording, the sound and the notes are good. No problem with Pod Farm 2. The problem only happens in Audacity. I tried to listen to the track through the Line 6 and then through my regular soundcard but nothing change.

Ensure that all the devices that you are using are set to use 44100 Hz sample rate (check each device in the Windows Sound Control Panel), and ensure that the “Project Rate” (lower left corner of main Audacity window) is also 44100 Hz.

Some info about setting the sample rate in Windows here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-change-sound-control-panel-settings-in/5a70718b-7ecf-4547-a64a-22efda8da0c2?auth=1

Thank you, the UX-1 was in 48000 Hz and Audacity seems to prefer that both are in 44100 Hz.

I tried several tracks and the notes stays tuned.

Thx !