Podcasting: Converting Stereo track to mono track

Hi! I’m using Audacity version 2.0.5. We use a podcasting hosting site called buzzsprout to get our episodes online. In order to upload our episodes to the site, we’re told we have to convert it to a mono file. When I split the stereo track and then delete the bottom channel, thereby creating the mono track, we are losing sound quality in sections where there is music being played under somebody speaking. Any ideas what to do about this?

Tracks > Stereo Track to Mono
Gracefully mixes Left and Right into one single Mono track.

You should Export all your original high quality Stereo WAV files as protective archive. Once you make a mono presentation, you can’t back up to stereo if you want or need to. Also note that if the service insists on MP3, DO NOT save your archive in MP3, as tempting as it seems. MP3 causes sound damage and you can’t edit them easily without causing even more damage.

Koz

Hi! Thank you! Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing. what happens is that in the intro, where i am speaking over a music track, once we convert to mono, my voice sounds echoey and not crisp like it had before the conversion. once we get into the episode where there is just me and my guest speaking, it goes back to sounding great, then in the end when I read the credits over the music, the same echoey not-as-crisp sound happens.

If you use the Track Drop-Down menu to Split Stereo to Mono then close the bottom (right) channel, any audio that was panned mostly in the right will then sound weak and fuzzy (because it is only the small part of the audio that was recorded into the left).

Use Tracks > Stereo Track to Mono (in the menu bar at the top of the Audacity window) as Koz suggested.

Gale