Plays through file at lightening speed

I tranferred files from my little Casio voice recorder to my laptop and tried to open the files in Audacity.

The file plays through so fast it’s just a bunch of noise…one hour of voice recording is played through in 3 seconds.

I"ve tried to adjust everything I can think of and I’m having zero luck. Need help!!!

You are almost certainly trying to import a file type that Audacity does not support. Audacity Supports WAV, MP3, OGG and FLAC & MP2 in 1.3.

If this is the case you have two basic options:

1. find and use some converter software to convert your file to a type that Audacity supports

2. play the file in any music software that supports that particular file format and record it in Audacity.

WC

Thanks a bunch for the response.

I went back and verified that my files were WAV files and they were.

I had this issue once before and a friend was able to figure the settings out. Same audio recorder, same laptop. I just uninstalled Audacity for a while and then re-loaded it. could it be the version of audacity could be different and now not compatiable with my recorder?

Maybe if I download a different version of audacity?

Audacity 1.2.6 only supports a very limited number of file formats. To support additional formats you need to use Audacity 1.3.12 and also install FFMPEG.
Audacity 1.3.12: Audacity ® | Downloads
FFMPEG: http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins#installffmpeg

Thanks…I’ll look into that!

I downloaded the newer version of audacity and it’s still not working. Same issue…I hit play and the file plays through so fast it sounds like loud staticy white noise.

I’ve converted the file to WAV format…not sure if there are settings that need to be chnaged. Tried a bunch of hit and miss stuff and nothing is working.

It sounds like you’re trying to play a type of file that is incompatible with your Audacity set-up …

Can Audacity import additional formats like M4A, WMA or FLAC?

Audacity 1.2 cannot import or export AC3, AMR(NB), M4A, WMA or most other proprietary file formats due to licensing and patent restrictions. However, the Beta > 1.3 version of Audacity can import or export these and many additional formats, > if you install the optional FFmpeg library> . > FFmpeg also allows Audacity to import audio from video files. Note that on Mac, Audacity Beta has built-in support for M4A import without installing FFmpeg, using the QuickTime components supplied by the operating system.

http://audacityteam.org/help/faq?s=files&i=wma-proprietary

You have to install the FFmpeg library after you have installed Audacity 1.3 to play files which are in these proprietary formats.