Playback won't work through docking station

I have a new laptop with a Kensington docking station. If I try to playback with my headphones plugged into the docking station, Audacity plays through the speaker instead. It plays through the headphones if they are plugged into the laptop.

The trouble is, when my laptop is in the docking station all other audio (eg from websites, media player etc) plays back via the docking station. if I have my headphones plugged into the laptop I can hear Audacity but I can’t hear anything else. Given that I am searching for lots of music and sound effects to my project, I need to find a way to have the headphones work for all sound sources.

Any help would be appreciated! I’m using Audacity 2.2.2 and Windows 10.

Audacity checks to see the available audio devices when the application is launched. It does not automatically update its list of audio devices unless you specifically tell it to by selecting “Transport menu > Rescan Audio Devices”.

After docking or undocking your laptop, you will probably need to rescan audio devices (or close and restart Audacity), and then select the appropriate output in the device toolbar.