Pitch change

When playing back clips the pitch has changed. I have not recorded in several weeks when playing back recordings was fine. During that time I did receive a Windows update. Though I have restored my system back to before the updates were installed, I still have this problem. I was using 2.2.2 Beta. I tried installing 2.1.2, same problem. System is Windows 10. Any ideas?

How far off is it?

Are you using any hardware other than your regular soundcard? Are you using a USB microphone?

Pitch drops a half step. I’m using M-Track 8 from M-Audio for recording. Playing back goes through the sound card in my laptop. It’s been that way for years with no problem. But now we have problems. Why?

No USB microphone. Though my M-Track-8 is a USB connection.

I’m using M-Track 8 from M-Audio for recording. Playing back goes through the sound card in my laptop.

That could be it… The clock (oscillator) in your soundcard may be off. No clock is perfect but “cheap consumer soundcards” can be off enough for a musician to notice. And, you’ll never see a problem if record & playback with the same “bad” soundcard.

Try playing-back through your USB interface.

It’s been that way for years with no problem.

I have no explanation for that and a Windows update shouldn’t cause a the hardware clock to change.

Okay…I have both record and playback going through the M-Track 8 and still the same problem. The playback pitch is 1/2 step lower than what was recorded. Actually I can’t tell if it the play back that’s playing 1/2 step lower or if it was recorded that way.

Also, I failed to mention before, when I try overdubbing onto another track (recording along with an existing tack playing back) I get dropouts all over the place.

What in the world is going on?

Launch Audacity and import one of those recordings, then look at the “Project Rate” in the lower left corner of the main Audacity window. What does it say?