Piano/Organ Issues

I’m a pastor who has the sermons recorded onto my laptop through Audacity 2.0.3. On occasion, I have the entire service recorded. Whenever the piano or organ are used, the sound is distorted. Is there a plug-in or something that I need to use to cut down on the distortion from these instruments?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The usual cause of distortion is that the recording level is set too high. This causes some part of the system to be overloaded and “clips” the audio. In most cases this damage in permanent and irreversible. The solution is to ensure that the recording level is low enough that the loudest audio is not clipped. In your case, is possible to move the microphone further away from the piano/organ so that it is not picked up so loudly?

How does the microphone reach the laptop? If it is through a mixer and into the microphone port of the laptop that is a recipe for excessive volume. A mixer or amplifier should be connected to the blue line-in port of the computer, or a USB interface used for the mixer or amplifier.

Gale