overdub problems

With Windows 10 and Aud. 2.1.1, I can’t record a second track (overdub) without the sound from the first track I recorded coming through and being recorded on the second track along with whatever I’m trying to record. I’ve tried with overdub checked and unchecked. Software playthrough is unchecked. I’m running the output from a little 6 channel mixer to the line in on my pc. The line out from the PC goes to a channel on the mixer. Headphones are plugged into the mixer. I’ve tried plugging headphones into the headphone jack on the pc and that doesn’t work either. There is no problem with latency, I just can’t figure out how to hear track 1 without re-recording it onto track 2. Someone told me since it is a cheap pc it might not have a full duplex sound card. But it can certainly record and playback at the same time, as evidenced by the problem I’m having. Can anyone help?

The settings for Recording Music On The Internet don’t work for Overdubbing. YouTube Recording intentionally crosses Record and Playback sound channels. One of the symptoms of getting these settings wrong is recording your backing track twice.

You have to change the Recording Device and Playback Device to be the exact devices you have plugged in, not made up software devices such as Stereo Mix or What U Hear. For example, my USB Behringer Mic Pre USB name is USB Audio CODEC

If you can’t figure out which one is which, look at the listing of devices and then unplug yours. See which one vanishes. USB names don’t always have anything to do with the maker of the unit.

Koz

Thanks for the reply, Koz.
I am not familiar with Recording Music On The Internet or You Tube Recording so I don’t know what you mean about those.

The Recording Device and Playback Device ARE shown exactly - I ran Belarc Advisor on my PC and it describes them as:

Line In (High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)

which is exactly what the descriptions on the dropdown menus show in Audacity. On the leftmost dropdown, I am using Windows Direct. I tried the other two (MME and Windows WASAPI) and got even worse results as I recall. I’m not using any USB device, just a soundcard that came with the pc.

Sammy

If software playthrough is unchecked, then the mixer is providing the route for the backing-track to get on to the overdub track. There must be a control on the mixer to stop that from happening.

If the computer’s line-out is connected to the mixer’s line-in, that would provide a route for the output of the computer, (backing track), to be re-recored on the overdub track.

I am not familiar with Recording Music On The Internet or You Tube Recording

Recording “free” internet content is so popular it’s a good bet that whenever someone has trouble like this, changing those settings is a very likely solution.

You have mixer problems.

If software playthrough is unchecked, then the mixer is providing the route for the backing-track to get on to the overdub track

What he said. The devices certified for overdubbing all have one thing in common. They’re all USB devices and they all provide “Zero Latency Monitoring.” They let you listen to your own live microphone and mix that with the backing track coming from the computer without affecting the show.

You can simulate that by assigning computer playback to your mixer’s FX SEND bus instead of the show channels.

This is a little rough to describe in text: Your microphones and other performances are each assigned to a mixer channel and you bring the channel slider up to dump that channel’s sound into the show. The channel that has the backing track does not get the slider. Instead, you bring up the FX Send control and you listen to the FX Send connection instead of the regular headphone connection. Bring up the FX Send on all the channels you want to listen to in addition to the backing track.

You are effectively creating two mixers. Mixer one is through the regular sliders and out the master sliders to be recorded. That’s the show. Mixer two is through the FX Send system. It feeds the headphones without ever becoming part of the show.

This is the same juggling act you have to do if you use a mixer with a Skype interview. The sliders mix the show and the FX SEND system mixes the sound sent back to the guest. You never want to send the guest’s voice back to themselves. The broadcast name for this is Mix Minus. The guest gets the whole show minus themselves.

Koz

Your mixer may not have FX SEND, but many mixers do. It’s normal purpose is to allow you to send sound to an effects machine such as an echo or reverb generator. But it also makes a dandy isolated mixer for special purpose jobs like this.

Your mixer may have an AUX SND. Consult your instructions.

Koz