now that equalization is gone.....

Hi Everyone!
I’m a newbie with audacity. I just upgraded from an older version of audacity and I read here that equalization effect has been replaced.
I watched a tutorial that requires this step:

“Equalization > select curve : low roll off for speech. Length of filter: about 5000 > ok”

I’m banging my head against a wall trying to figure how to do this now in the new version which I’m kicking myself for downloading now. Can anyone please tell me how to do this now that this effect no longer exists?

I’m trying to get my work to pass ACX and Findawayvoices requirements.

Thank you so much!

The old Equalization effect which had two modes (curves and sliders) has been spit into two: Filter Curve and Graphic EQ

Use Filter Curve…

and click the Manage button and the Factory Presets - from there you can select Low rolloff for speech

WC

There is a revised audiobook process. We are slowly cranking down through documentation to reflect these changes. This is in response to your other post.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/guidance-on-acx-check-results/55195/2

Koz

Where did you see the older instructions? Is it still like that if you refresh the web page? In Firefox, it’s the circular arrow upper left.

Post the location if it’s broken.

Koz

Thank you for the help! I read it here:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/audiobook-mastering-version-4/45908/1

But initially, I watched a tutorial on YouTube that had the exact same specifications.

I was confused by how to choose the “about 5000” part with the graph but it seems just choosing the Low rolloff for speech by itself does the trick because now I got the piece to pass.

I’m wondering if you can help with something else? These are the requirements for passing with Findawayvoices:

Each individual file must contain between 0.5 and 1 second of silence (room tone) at the beginning
of file, before narration performance begins, and between 1 and 5 seconds of silence (room tone) at
the end of file, after narration completes.
Art and Audio Requirements
Findaway Voices reserves the right (but is not obligated) to adjust your audiobook to fit these requirements.
Questions? Please reach out to Support@FindawayVoices.com
• RMS for each file must measure between -23dB and -18dB, with peak values below -3dB, and a
maximum -60dB floor

Would I use the same technique to get these to pass as ACX? Would I just change any of the variables on the effects because it looks like they are slightly different than ACX.

Thank you in advance if you can guide me on that one too!

I was confused by how to choose the “about 5000” part with the graph but it seems just choosing the Low rolloff for speech by itself does the trick because now I got the piece to pass.

They are different tools. The newer Filter Curve does the same jobs and gets better performance with fewer adjustments.

As near as I can tell, Findawayvoices uses ACX specifications. They just copy/pasted the numbers. The only difference is Findawayvoices wants to do it instead of you struggling with the tools.

I’m not sure who wins. ACX has to hire Quality Control and analysis people and Findawayvoices has to hire technical producers.

ACX has an “out.” If you don’t make specifications, they write you a nice rejection note and that’s that. What does Findawayvoices do if they can’t patch your performance enough? Everybody’s reading with the same Blue Yeti microphone and has similar problems.

Being able to gracefully pass ACX is terrifically handy because the work will be acceptable almost everywhere else. They’re not wacky outliers. Their specifications are very close to Broadcast.

Koz

Audiobook Mastering has a little-known design goal. For the most part, if you don’t need the corrections, they don’t do anything. If you master an already mastered work, nothing happens.

I’d be tempted to master everything to both companies.

Koz

So I should maybe exchange this microphone for a different kind? I’ve only had it a few weeks so I think the window is still available. What kind is similarly priced but preforms better?

I was looking at the Rode NT when I decided to go with this one. Maybe the Rode is a better choice? I read on the reviews it was too sensitive so that’s why I chose the Yeti.