No Stereo Input from Turntable

I’m digitizing LPs from a USB turntable. Windows 10, Audacity 2.0.3. I don’t believe that I’m getting stereo input. The online manual says to change the Default Format in Device Properties to “2 channel 16 bit 44100Hz (CD quality)”.

I have attempted to make that change. System → Sound → Input → Microphone (USB Audio Codec) → Device Properties → Advanced.

However the Default Format setting (“2 channels …”) setting does not “stick” when I close the Device Properties with “OK”. i.e. when I reopen Device Properties → Advanced the Default Format is set back to “1 channel …”. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sometimes you can “clean up” and reset everything by uninstalling and re-installing the drivers. (Virtually all USB turntables use the standard Microsoft-supplied drivers and the driver should get reinstalled automatically.)

Go into the Windows Device Manager (right-click the Start Menu in Windows 10) try to find the device under “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”, right-click the device and select “uninstall device”. Hopefully, when you un-plug-it and plug it back in, the correct driver will be installed, everything will be reset, and it will work.

Uninstalled USB Audio CODEC, rebooted, then unplugged and plugged in usb cable from turntable. USB Audio CODEC was reinstalled.

Unfortunately, no change in failure to save Default Format setting (always going back to “1 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)”).

Found a work around for this problem. Instead of getting to the “Default Format” setting from Input → Microphone (USB Audio CODEC) → Device Properties → Advanced, I went to device setup via Related Settings → Sound Control Panel → Recording.

Making the change in Default Format from that dialog box caused the change to persist.

Maybe someone can reproduce this behavior to prove I’m not crazy.

Audacity is a great program! My thanks to the authors and those supporting it.