No Sound

Recently purchased a U-Turn turntable which I have connected to my computer via a U-Control pre-amp, which previously worked beautifully with my Technics turntable. I recently tried to use the turntable to listen to a recording and am getting NO SOUND WHATSOVER. I also recently replaced my crummy Radio Shack computer speakers with a pair of Labtec speakers which I know work because I have used them to listen to YouTube videos and audio files but am getting no sound out of them or the laptop’s teeny speakers. I also recently installed the latest version of Audacity (after uninstalling the older one), just to complete the scenario. What am I doing wrong? I need to use the speakers to check out LPs I wish to sell on ebay and right now I have a $300 toy that goes around and around… :angry: :angry: :angry:

Is that a UCA-202 or a UCA-222?

Are the Labtec speakers USB speakers?

If your immediate concern is only to listen to the records in the computer, you don’t need Audacity.

Right-click over the speaker icon by the system clock, then choose “Recording Devices”. Right-click over the U-Control device and choose “Properties”. Click the “Advanced” tab and ensure “Default Format” is set to a stereo choice, assuming your records are stereo.

Then click the “Listen” tab, enable “Listen to this device” and choose the speakers you want to use.

If you want to record in Audacity, then to listen while you are recording, choose the playback device you want to use in Device Toolbar. If you don’t see your speakers, choose Transport > Rescan Audio Devices. Choose the U-Control as Recording Device.

Enable Transport > Software Playthrough then Record.

Gale

My stepson’s computer whiz friend came over last night and discovered the problem-for some reason in Audacity, the program had defaulted so that the output was the input and vice versa, so he went through everything and switched it back to the correct settings and now it works perfectly. Still cannot figure out how the original switch happened but now it is working fine. I will, however, print out your reply to keep handy for future reference. Many thanks, Gale. :slight_smile: