newbie questions- can I record sax and combine it with a accompaniment

Hi,

Sorry for posting a newbie question here. Your input would be highly appreciated.

What I’m looking for is a computer tool that can record my sax play, and then combine the recorded sax play with another pre-recorded accompaniment in MP3 file to generate a new MP3 file (with both accompaniment and my sax play). Can I do this with Audacity?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

I think that’s backwards. In overdubbing, you play an existing track (the backing track) into your headphones and perform along with it onto a clean second track. When you’re done performing, you can edit, correct, filter, etc, etc. When you’re happy with the combination, File > Export and Audacity will automatically mix all the tracks into one show unless you stop it.

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

Koz

Thanks for your input. It helps a lot. I was able to export both tracks to a WAV file. I’ll find the LAME MP3 encoder later so I can export tracks to a MP3 file.

Another question is on Edit. Suppose my sax solo is a bit slower or faster than accompaniment (the backing track) in some sections, would it be possible to correct it, i.e. make sax solo track faster or slower in some section to sync with the backing track?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

would it be possible to correct it

There are tools to do that such as Effect > Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift, but by the time you get them to work, you could have just performed the song again several times.

Are you using overdub? I’m surprised you have timing problems. Most people can sing or play in time to an existing song with no trouble. Most people would have trouble performing off time.

It’s remotely possible to start OK and then slowly drift off sync during the song. But that always goes the same direction and always gets worse. Is that what you have?

Tracks can be made sooner and later with the Time Shift Tool (two sideways black arrows) in the tool bar.

Koz

Thanks for the information. I need more time to play with this tool and see how Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift works.

What I’m doing is simple… I just play sax and record it in the 2nd track by following the accompaniment/backing track (first track). Since the sound of accompaniment is very weak in some sections so it’s hard to follow, my sax play may not perfectly sync with it. That’s why I thought about editing the recorded sax solo (make it faster/slower in those sections) to make it sync with backing track.

Thanks & regards,
Lee