I am starting my podcast backup and would love some advice on mixers versus audio interfaces. I have a Shure SM7B microphone. I do a conversation-based podcast. The only other audio I use besides the conversation is an intro and outro music. I will occasionally need to do some editing of clips or cut stuff from time to time but I don’t add in any drops or clips. For some of my guests, I have to do a zoom call. I eventually want to get to add video to my platform. I also have a YAMAHA MG10XU 10-Input Stereo Mixer with Effects as a mixer currently. I am not married to my mixer and would upgrade eventually if I felt it was needed.
The questions I have are:
- If I want to do a conversation-based podcast with one or more guests on at a time, would my current mixer work with the Shure Mics?
- What are the pros and cons of that mixer?
- Would you suggest a mixer or interface? Why?
- What platform would you recommend to record and produce a podcast on?
- What would I need to consider once I incorporate video?
- Can I get away with the latest iPhone for doing video?